Autograph of the OrdinaryDo you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?
Top Christian Music Videos
I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent (v.32).
During a recent fishing trip, my brother-in-law and I were reminded that you have to fish in the right location. We claimed a spot near a wooden fishing pier that stretched out into the Gulf of Mexico. Unfortunately, it was not a good choice. The bait fish, which attracted the schools of the desired Spanish mackerel, were on the other side of the pier. Anglers less than 50 yards away were easily catching their limit while we struggled to get even a nibble.
Jesus showed that location matters too when it comes to “fishing for people” (Luke 5:10). Shortly after recruiting some of His first disciples, He and the men attended a banquet in the home of a Jewish tax collector name Levi. At this banquet were many of “Levi’s fellow tax collectors” (vv.27-29).
The questionable crowd didn’t sit well with the Jewish religious leaders. They “complained bitterly to Jesus’ disciples, ‘Why do you eat and drink with such scum?’ ” (v.30). They couldn’t grasp why Jesus would have anything to do with those who got rich collaborating with the Roman government while their fellow countrymen struggled to make ends meet.
But Jesus understood that location matters. He showed His disciples that in order to “fish” for people, you have to go where the “sinners” are (v.32). This is dangerous “fishing.” It presents the danger of being compromised by the world. So it requires a strong relationship with Jesus and deep commitment to follow Him in obedience. It also requires regular involvement with other like-minded believers. But if we’re going to share the gospel of Jesus with the world, we must be in the world—location matters!
Read Matthew 28:19-20 and see where God tells us to “fish” and what we can expect of Him in those locations.
Where is God calling you to be in the world but not of it? How can you maintain a strong and growing faith even as you’re exposed to sinful living?
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more