Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent (v.32).
During a recent fishing trip, my brother-in-law and I were reminded that you have to fish in the right location. We claimed a spot near a wooden fishing pier that stretched out into the Gulf of Mexico. Unfortunately, it was not a good choice. The bait fish, which attracted the schools of the desired Spanish mackerel, were on the other side of the pier. Anglers less than 50 yards away were easily catching their limit while we struggled to get even a nibble.
Jesus showed that location matters too when it comes to “fishing for people” (Luke 5:10). Shortly after recruiting some of His first disciples, He and the men attended a banquet in the home of a Jewish tax collector name Levi. At this banquet were many of “Levi’s fellow tax collectors” (vv.27-29).
The questionable crowd didn’t sit well with the Jewish religious leaders. They “complained bitterly to Jesus’ disciples, ‘Why do you eat and drink with such scum?’ ” (v.30). They couldn’t grasp why Jesus would have anything to do with those who got rich collaborating with the Roman government while their fellow countrymen struggled to make ends meet.
But Jesus understood that location matters. He showed His disciples that in order to “fish” for people, you have to go where the “sinners” are (v.32). This is dangerous “fishing.” It presents the danger of being compromised by the world. So it requires a strong relationship with Jesus and deep commitment to follow Him in obedience. It also requires regular involvement with other like-minded believers. But if we’re going to share the gospel of Jesus with the world, we must be in the world—location matters!
Read Matthew 28:19-20 and see where God tells us to “fish” and what we can expect of Him in those locations.
Where is God calling you to be in the world but not of it? How can you maintain a strong and growing faith even as you’re exposed to sinful living?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more