Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Earthly Loss, Heavenly Gain
Sell all your possessions . . . and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me (Luke 18:22).
What is the most valuable thing in your life? Some would say family—a spouse, children or parent. Others would list career, education or material possessions. Those struggling with sickness would likely say that health tops the list. Jesus illustrated this same question with two tiny parables (Matthew 13:44).
He told of two people who stumbled upon treasures. In both tales the message is the same: Our relationship with Jesus is of such great value that we ought to be prepared to give everything we have in order to possess it (vv.44,46).
Now it’s important not to misapply these parables. We have nothing of value that we can offer to God (Isaiah 64:6). We can’t buy our way into heaven, for our salvation is “a gift from God” (Ephesians 2:8). But Scripture does speak of our salvation as a ‘come [and] buy’ transaction of divine grace (Isaiah 55:1 NIV; Matthew 13:44; Revelation 3:18). I exchange my unrighteousness for Jesus’ righteousness (2 Corinthians 2:21; Philippians 3:9). His life for my life (John 10:10; Romans 6:8; Galatians 2:20). I can’t have treasure above unless I give up my treasures here below. The rich young ruler in Luke 18:17 wasn’t prepared to sell all his earthly possessions in order to have treasure in heaven (v.22). So he went away very sad (v.23).
Both men in Matthew 13:44 knew the great risks they were taking in liquidating all their assets. They weren’t wrong in assessing what is truly valuable (Philippians 3:7). Missionary Jim Elliot confidently said, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”
Consider Moses’ example in Hebrews 11:24. What enabled him to ‘sell’ all that he had on earth to have treasure in heaven?
What things are you struggling to release into God’s hands? What will happen if you let them go?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more