Top Music Videos
Earthly Loss, Heavenly Gain
Sell all your possessions . . . and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me (Luke 18:22).
What is the most valuable thing in your life? Some would say family—a spouse, children or parent. Others would list career, education or material possessions. Those struggling with sickness would likely say that health tops the list. Jesus illustrated this same question with two tiny parables (Matthew 13:44).
He told of two people who stumbled upon treasures. In both tales the message is the same: Our relationship with Jesus is of such great value that we ought to be prepared to give everything we have in order to possess it (vv.44,46).
Now it’s important not to misapply these parables. We have nothing of value that we can offer to God (Isaiah 64:6). We can’t buy our way into heaven, for our salvation is “a gift from God” (Ephesians 2:8). But Scripture does speak of our salvation as a ‘come [and] buy’ transaction of divine grace (Isaiah 55:1 NIV; Matthew 13:44; Revelation 3:18). I exchange my unrighteousness for Jesus’ righteousness (2 Corinthians 2:21; Philippians 3:9). His life for my life (John 10:10; Romans 6:8; Galatians 2:20). I can’t have treasure above unless I give up my treasures here below. The rich young ruler in Luke 18:17 wasn’t prepared to sell all his earthly possessions in order to have treasure in heaven (v.22). So he went away very sad (v.23).
Both men in Matthew 13:44 knew the great risks they were taking in liquidating all their assets. They weren’t wrong in assessing what is truly valuable (Philippians 3:7). Missionary Jim Elliot confidently said, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”
Consider Moses’ example in Hebrews 11:24. What enabled him to ‘sell’ all that he had on earth to have treasure in heaven?
What things are you struggling to release into God’s hands? What will happen if you let them go?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more