Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
You disobeyed My command. Why did you do this? (v.2).
I recently began searching for a good used car. When we went to check out a 2006 model, the vehicle looked pristine. Looks can be deceiving, however. For when I had my mechanic take a peek at the prospective purchase, he found some major transmission problems. If I had bought the car, it would have cost me thousands of dollars to fix.
Ancient Israel also tried to look good on the outside, but they definitely lacked something “under the hood”! Having professed undying loyalty to God and promising that they would serve Him in obedience (Joshua 24:21- 24), they did so partly—not completely. In Judges 1, we read that the faithful “Lord was with the people” as they drove out the pagans and their idols from Canaan (vv.19,22). But, sadly, the people were disobedient and didn’t complete the job. The word failedis used seven times to describe their lack of obedience (vv.21-33).
In response, the angel of the Lord appeared before the Israelites and said, “You disobeyed My command. Why did you do this?” (2:2). Then he told the people that God would no longer help them in their clearing-of-the-land quest, and they “wept loudly” (vv.3-4). Again, their outward appearance of contrition looked mighty fine. But soon they “did evil in the Lord’s sight and served the images of Baal” (v.11). God, burning with holy anger, turned them “over to their enemies” (v.14). Something was rotten in Canaan—the hearts of God’s people. So He disciplined them in love, desiring that their hearts would be fully restored to Him.
What’s in your heart today? Are you fully committed to God or is there something rotten within your heart that needs to be brought to Him in repentance?
Read 2 Timothy 2:13 to see God’s response even when we’re unfaithful to Him.
What happened when God’s people truly served and loved Him in obedience in the Old Testament? What things can cause your heart to become rotten?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more