Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
You disobeyed My command. Why did you do this? (v.2).
I recently began searching for a good used car. When we went to check out a 2006 model, the vehicle looked pristine. Looks can be deceiving, however. For when I had my mechanic take a peek at the prospective purchase, he found some major transmission problems. If I had bought the car, it would have cost me thousands of dollars to fix.
Ancient Israel also tried to look good on the outside, but they definitely lacked something “under the hood”! Having professed undying loyalty to God and promising that they would serve Him in obedience (Joshua 24:21- 24), they did so partly—not completely. In Judges 1, we read that the faithful “Lord was with the people” as they drove out the pagans and their idols from Canaan (vv.19,22). But, sadly, the people were disobedient and didn’t complete the job. The word failedis used seven times to describe their lack of obedience (vv.21-33).
In response, the angel of the Lord appeared before the Israelites and said, “You disobeyed My command. Why did you do this?” (2:2). Then he told the people that God would no longer help them in their clearing-of-the-land quest, and they “wept loudly” (vv.3-4). Again, their outward appearance of contrition looked mighty fine. But soon they “did evil in the Lord’s sight and served the images of Baal” (v.11). God, burning with holy anger, turned them “over to their enemies” (v.14). Something was rotten in Canaan—the hearts of God’s people. So He disciplined them in love, desiring that their hearts would be fully restored to Him.
What’s in your heart today? Are you fully committed to God or is there something rotten within your heart that needs to be brought to Him in repentance?
Read 2 Timothy 2:13 to see God’s response even when we’re unfaithful to Him.
What happened when God’s people truly served and loved Him in obedience in the Old Testament? What things can cause your heart to become rotten?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more