Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
You disobeyed My command. Why did you do this? (v.2).
I recently began searching for a good used car. When we went to check out a 2006 model, the vehicle looked pristine. Looks can be deceiving, however. For when I had my mechanic take a peek at the prospective purchase, he found some major transmission problems. If I had bought the car, it would have cost me thousands of dollars to fix.
Ancient Israel also tried to look good on the outside, but they definitely lacked something “under the hood”! Having professed undying loyalty to God and promising that they would serve Him in obedience (Joshua 24:21- 24), they did so partly—not completely. In Judges 1, we read that the faithful “Lord was with the people” as they drove out the pagans and their idols from Canaan (vv.19,22). But, sadly, the people were disobedient and didn’t complete the job. The word failedis used seven times to describe their lack of obedience (vv.21-33).
In response, the angel of the Lord appeared before the Israelites and said, “You disobeyed My command. Why did you do this?” (2:2). Then he told the people that God would no longer help them in their clearing-of-the-land quest, and they “wept loudly” (vv.3-4). Again, their outward appearance of contrition looked mighty fine. But soon they “did evil in the Lord’s sight and served the images of Baal” (v.11). God, burning with holy anger, turned them “over to their enemies” (v.14). Something was rotten in Canaan—the hearts of God’s people. So He disciplined them in love, desiring that their hearts would be fully restored to Him.
What’s in your heart today? Are you fully committed to God or is there something rotten within your heart that needs to be brought to Him in repentance?
Read 2 Timothy 2:13 to see God’s response even when we’re unfaithful to Him.
What happened when God’s people truly served and loved Him in obedience in the Old Testament? What things can cause your heart to become rotten?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more