DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Lord’s House
If you or your descendants abandon Me . . . I will uproot Israel from this land that I have given them (vv.6-7).
My local church finally moved into our own building. After more than 10 years of renting, our first meeting in the new building was a prayer gathering. The leaders of our congregation prayed that we would always be a people who seek God.
In 1 Kings 1:1 Solomon had finally completed the building of the magnificent temple. For 400 years Israel had worshipped in the tabernacle—a mere tent! But Solomon fulfilled the dream of his father David—the dream of a permanent and beautiful place in which the people of Israel could worship their God.
At this important juncture in Israel’s history God appeared to Solomon a second time (the first encounter was recorded in 1 Kings 3:3). There are two key lessons we can learn from what God said to Solomon at this significant moment:
First, the temple building—no matter how magnificent—is an empty shell without the presence of God. Its significance is derived from God’s promise that He would always abide in the temple in a special way. Therefore, His people could always count on His eyes resting on them and His heart compassionately responding to their needs (1 Kings 1:3).
Second, the temple was nothing without obedience and faith. Every generation has to commit themselves to walk in faithful obedience to God, for the Lord will reject His temple if His people abandon Him and follow other gods (vv.6-7). The words of writer Gary Inrig can serve as a warning to us: “The first generation preached the gospel. The second generation assumed the gospel. The third generation lost the gospel.”
As we enjoy our church’s facilities this Sunday, may we remember that they’re to be used to draw us close with fellow believers in fellowship with God, who is present with us.
—Poh Fang Chia
How does your local church celebrate the presence of God? In what ways do you strive as a body of believers to draw closer to God?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more