Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Lord’s House
If you or your descendants abandon Me . . . I will uproot Israel from this land that I have given them (vv.6-7).
My local church finally moved into our own building. After more than 10 years of renting, our first meeting in the new building was a prayer gathering. The leaders of our congregation prayed that we would always be a people who seek God.
In 1 Kings 1:1 Solomon had finally completed the building of the magnificent temple. For 400 years Israel had worshipped in the tabernacle—a mere tent! But Solomon fulfilled the dream of his father David—the dream of a permanent and beautiful place in which the people of Israel could worship their God.
At this important juncture in Israel’s history God appeared to Solomon a second time (the first encounter was recorded in 1 Kings 3:3). There are two key lessons we can learn from what God said to Solomon at this significant moment:
First, the temple building—no matter how magnificent—is an empty shell without the presence of God. Its significance is derived from God’s promise that He would always abide in the temple in a special way. Therefore, His people could always count on His eyes resting on them and His heart compassionately responding to their needs (1 Kings 1:3).
Second, the temple was nothing without obedience and faith. Every generation has to commit themselves to walk in faithful obedience to God, for the Lord will reject His temple if His people abandon Him and follow other gods (vv.6-7). The words of writer Gary Inrig can serve as a warning to us: “The first generation preached the gospel. The second generation assumed the gospel. The third generation lost the gospel.”
As we enjoy our church’s facilities this Sunday, may we remember that they’re to be used to draw us close with fellow believers in fellowship with God, who is present with us.
—Poh Fang Chia
How does your local church celebrate the presence of God? In what ways do you strive as a body of believers to draw closer to God?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more