Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
Blessings on the Mourners
God blesses those who mourn (v.4).
A man with whom I attended college committed suicide recently. He killed himself on the 3-year anniversary of the day his wife died. He left behind a video in which he told how heartbroken he had been and of the many ways he had attempted to assuage his sorrow. I’m sad for my friend. I’m sorry for his pain and loneliness. And I’m sorry he did not turn to God and receive His healing love.
I wish my friend had pondered Jesus’ words: “God blesses those who mourn” (Matthew 5:4). Many in our world know deep sadness. I recently read stories of a third world country where fathers rent out their 12- and 13-year-old daughters by the night. Most certainly these girls are mourners. A mum receives a call that her son has been killed in a biking accident. A daughter sits at her father’s hospital bed. A single mum works hours and collapses at the end of each day. Mourners all.
Some of us are mourners for others. The gospel has opened our eyes, and we weep over the agony of this world—all the hunger and desperation. We weep and sometimes we simply can’t stop crying. Sometimes people around us tell us to cheer up, grow up and stop feeling the pain so intensely. Perhaps we think we’re damaged goods because all we do is grieve with the grieving. And in precisely that place the kingdom of God arrives in surprising power and says, Blessed!
As Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, “[Believers in Jesus] do not go out of their way to look for suffering, or try to contract out of it by adopting an attitude of contempt and disdain. They simply bear the suffering which comes their way as they try to follow Jesus Christ, and bear [this suffering] for His sake.”
Read John 11:17. Notice the tears. Who cries, and why do they cry?
How do you sense God wanting to meet you in your deep sadness? Where do you sense that God is wanting you to engage the deep sadness in your world?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more