Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Blessings on the Mourners
God blesses those who mourn (v.4).
A man with whom I attended college committed suicide recently. He killed himself on the 3-year anniversary of the day his wife died. He left behind a video in which he told how heartbroken he had been and of the many ways he had attempted to assuage his sorrow. I’m sad for my friend. I’m sorry for his pain and loneliness. And I’m sorry he did not turn to God and receive His healing love.
I wish my friend had pondered Jesus’ words: “God blesses those who mourn” (Matthew 5:4). Many in our world know deep sadness. I recently read stories of a third world country where fathers rent out their 12- and 13-year-old daughters by the night. Most certainly these girls are mourners. A mum receives a call that her son has been killed in a biking accident. A daughter sits at her father’s hospital bed. A single mum works hours and collapses at the end of each day. Mourners all.
Some of us are mourners for others. The gospel has opened our eyes, and we weep over the agony of this world—all the hunger and desperation. We weep and sometimes we simply can’t stop crying. Sometimes people around us tell us to cheer up, grow up and stop feeling the pain so intensely. Perhaps we think we’re damaged goods because all we do is grieve with the grieving. And in precisely that place the kingdom of God arrives in surprising power and says, Blessed!
As Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, “[Believers in Jesus] do not go out of their way to look for suffering, or try to contract out of it by adopting an attitude of contempt and disdain. They simply bear the suffering which comes their way as they try to follow Jesus Christ, and bear [this suffering] for His sake.”
Read John 11:17. Notice the tears. Who cries, and why do they cry?
How do you sense God wanting to meet you in your deep sadness? Where do you sense that God is wanting you to engage the deep sadness in your world?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more