Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
No Other God
You must not have any other god but Me (v.3).
In his fascinating book, Modes of Faith, Theodore Ziolkowski reviews the lives of 19th-century European writers who had lost faith in God. What Ziolkowski finds is this: While these authors had dismissed the God of the Bible, another ‘god’ had soon taken His place.
Ziolkowski found five “gods” to be most attractive to these men and their readers. Art was raised to godlike status by some, pilgrimage was an exotic god for others, and politics—particularly socialism and communism—became another god. Tragically some hoped Nazism would fill the void, and still others hoped a future utopia would fulfill their spiritual dreams. These writers hadn’t suddenly believed in nothing upon their loss of faith. They had needed a surrogate faith to replace God.
And so it is with us. Our god, as pastor and author Tim Keller puts it, is “anything so central and essential to your life that, should you lose it, your life would feel hardly worth living.” Today the gods of success, money, status, beauty, fame, sex and family claim much allegiance.
“You must not have any other god but Me,” says the true God (Exodus 20:3). We’re not to replace Him with anything in this world (v.4). The reasons are clear. There is no other God but Him (Deuteronomy 4:35). Only He can save us (Exodus 20:2). If we’re made to live in relationship with this God (Genesis 1:26), and will die without Him (Genesis 1:26), then nothing else is as important as who or what we worship.“[In] the final analysis,” Ziolkowski concludes, “all the surrogates turned out to be inadequate.”
You must not have any other god but Me.Perhaps that’s not just because the true God is worth ultimate allegiance, but because any other god will ultimately break our hearts.
Read Romans 1:20 to see how we become like our idols, and chapters 12 and 13 to see how worshipping God makes us like Him.
Are you falling for any surrogate gods? How can we stop good things from becoming idols in our lives?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more