In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
No Other God
You must not have any other god but Me (v.3).
In his fascinating book, Modes of Faith, Theodore Ziolkowski reviews the lives of 19th-century European writers who had lost faith in God. What Ziolkowski finds is this: While these authors had dismissed the God of the Bible, another ‘god’ had soon taken His place.
Ziolkowski found five “gods” to be most attractive to these men and their readers. Art was raised to godlike status by some, pilgrimage was an exotic god for others, and politics—particularly socialism and communism—became another god. Tragically some hoped Nazism would fill the void, and still others hoped a future utopia would fulfill their spiritual dreams. These writers hadn’t suddenly believed in nothing upon their loss of faith. They had needed a surrogate faith to replace God.
And so it is with us. Our god, as pastor and author Tim Keller puts it, is “anything so central and essential to your life that, should you lose it, your life would feel hardly worth living.” Today the gods of success, money, status, beauty, fame, sex and family claim much allegiance.
“You must not have any other god but Me,” says the true God (Exodus 20:3). We’re not to replace Him with anything in this world (v.4). The reasons are clear. There is no other God but Him (Deuteronomy 4:35). Only He can save us (Exodus 20:2). If we’re made to live in relationship with this God (Genesis 1:26), and will die without Him (Genesis 1:26), then nothing else is as important as who or what we worship.“[In] the final analysis,” Ziolkowski concludes, “all the surrogates turned out to be inadequate.”
You must not have any other god but Me.Perhaps that’s not just because the true God is worth ultimate allegiance, but because any other god will ultimately break our hearts.
Read Romans 1:20 to see how we become like our idols, and chapters 12 and 13 to see how worshipping God makes us like Him.
Are you falling for any surrogate gods? How can we stop good things from becoming idols in our lives?
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more