Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Isaiah 51:1-3 [Israel’s] desert will blossom like Eden (v.3).
Last summer, I tried to grow tomatoes (yet again). I bought heirloom starter vines and a wooden trough planter. I talked to farmer friends about best practices and even concocted an organic fertilizer mixture that was supposed to make my plants flourish. The growing season ended, however, and I had plucked a grand total of one tomato—a scraggly, little fellow, slightly larger than a golf ball.
A garden must also be purposefully landscaped, carved out of the earth with attention and care. Isaiah told Israel: “Consider the rock from which you were cut, the quarry from which you were mined” (51:1). I have gardening neighbors who must know some of the joy that God experienced, bringing a beautiful garden to life.
When Isaiah spoke of a garden, he described a lush landscape overflowing with beauty and bounty. This garden is Israel, God’s chosen people. A garden was the first place God met with the humans He created, and the fertile garden continued as a guiding image for the world and the people God loved (Genesis 1–2).
Sadly, Israel ran from God, and the result was that their garden was in disrepair. But the prophet promised that the “Lord [would] comfort Israel again and have pity on her ruins” (Isaiah 51:3). God didn’t abandon His garden—His people. For He doesn’t abandon His promises. When God’s work on this earth is done, the parched desert earth will again yield the lush fruit and the potent fragrance of Eden. When the Master Gardener finishes His work, Israel’s “barren wilderness [will be] like the garden of the Lord” (v.3).
God longs for the entire world to be His garden. One day, it will be.
Read Psalm 1. What garden and farming imagery do you find in it? What does this tell us about God’s work on our behalf?
How has the garden of your life become barren or dry? In what ways is God helping to make it blossom?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more