Always LovedEven before he made the world, God loved us and chose us.
Top Christian Music Videos
Isaiah 51:1-3 [Israel’s] desert will blossom like Eden (v.3).
Last summer, I tried to grow tomatoes (yet again). I bought heirloom starter vines and a wooden trough planter. I talked to farmer friends about best practices and even concocted an organic fertilizer mixture that was supposed to make my plants flourish. The growing season ended, however, and I had plucked a grand total of one tomato—a scraggly, little fellow, slightly larger than a golf ball.
A garden must also be purposefully landscaped, carved out of the earth with attention and care. Isaiah told Israel: “Consider the rock from which you were cut, the quarry from which you were mined” (51:1). I have gardening neighbors who must know some of the joy that God experienced, bringing a beautiful garden to life.
When Isaiah spoke of a garden, he described a lush landscape overflowing with beauty and bounty. This garden is Israel, God’s chosen people. A garden was the first place God met with the humans He created, and the fertile garden continued as a guiding image for the world and the people God loved (Genesis 1–2).
Sadly, Israel ran from God, and the result was that their garden was in disrepair. But the prophet promised that the “Lord [would] comfort Israel again and have pity on her ruins” (Isaiah 51:3). God didn’t abandon His garden—His people. For He doesn’t abandon His promises. When God’s work on this earth is done, the parched desert earth will again yield the lush fruit and the potent fragrance of Eden. When the Master Gardener finishes His work, Israel’s “barren wilderness [will be] like the garden of the Lord” (v.3).
God longs for the entire world to be His garden. One day, it will be.
Read Psalm 1. What garden and farming imagery do you find in it? What does this tell us about God’s work on our behalf?
How has the garden of your life become barren or dry? In what ways is God helping to make it blossom?
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more