Top Music Videos
You’re at War
We are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world (v.12).
Neville Chamberlain was duped during World War II. As Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, he appeased Hitler and acquiesced to his demands. Chamberlain believed Hitler was a man of peace who would simply be satisfied with regaining lands that once were part of Germany. So he did nothing when Hitler acquired Austria and the Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia. Chamberlain realized too late that Hitler’s word meant nothing, and as German tanks rolled into Poland, Great Britain had to declare war.
Sometimes I wonder whether I’m a spiritual Chamberlain, oblivious to the fact that I’m at war. Consider Jude 1:9, which says, “Michael was arguing with the devil about Moses’ body.” What?! Michael and Satan tussled over Moses’ dead body? Now flip to the story of Moses, which simply says “the Lord buried him . . . but to this day no one knows the exact place” (Deuteronomy 34:6). Apparently that simple statement, “the Lord buried him,” conceals a lot of angelic activity.
I don’t know what Satan wanted with Moses’ body. Perhaps he wanted to parade it in front of the Israelites to dishearten them. Perhaps he simply wanted a souvenir.
I wonder if Satan shadowed the Israelites during their trek in the desert. Did he hound them into grumbling about food and the size of the giants in the Promised Land? When he saw an opening did he swoop in to scoop up Moses? How would the Israelites have responded if they realized their trials were part of a larger war?
The first soldiers to die are often the ones who don’t know they’re in a battle. Be on guard, you’re at war.
Read 2 Kings 6:8-23 to learn about the unseen world.
Think of a temptation that grips you from time to time. How will it help you to remember that your obedience is part of a larger, cosmic war?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more