Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
You’re at War
We are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world (v.12).
Neville Chamberlain was duped during World War II. As Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, he appeased Hitler and acquiesced to his demands. Chamberlain believed Hitler was a man of peace who would simply be satisfied with regaining lands that once were part of Germany. So he did nothing when Hitler acquired Austria and the Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia. Chamberlain realized too late that Hitler’s word meant nothing, and as German tanks rolled into Poland, Great Britain had to declare war.
Sometimes I wonder whether I’m a spiritual Chamberlain, oblivious to the fact that I’m at war. Consider Jude 1:9, which says, “Michael was arguing with the devil about Moses’ body.” What?! Michael and Satan tussled over Moses’ dead body? Now flip to the story of Moses, which simply says “the Lord buried him . . . but to this day no one knows the exact place” (Deuteronomy 34:6). Apparently that simple statement, “the Lord buried him,” conceals a lot of angelic activity.
I don’t know what Satan wanted with Moses’ body. Perhaps he wanted to parade it in front of the Israelites to dishearten them. Perhaps he simply wanted a souvenir.
I wonder if Satan shadowed the Israelites during their trek in the desert. Did he hound them into grumbling about food and the size of the giants in the Promised Land? When he saw an opening did he swoop in to scoop up Moses? How would the Israelites have responded if they realized their trials were part of a larger war?
The first soldiers to die are often the ones who don’t know they’re in a battle. Be on guard, you’re at war.
Read 2 Kings 6:8-23 to learn about the unseen world.
Think of a temptation that grips you from time to time. How will it help you to remember that your obedience is part of a larger, cosmic war?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more