What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
When we first read the book of Obadiah, it's easy to regard its contents as little more than a prophetic tirade in which God's wrath is directed toward Israel's enemies. We see His wrath and the reality that evil does not go unpunished. But the book has far more to say than simply those two truths.
Some other key points include the fact that we should be careful about what we plant, because the time of harvest will come quickly. God is offended by wrongdoing, and He brings justice for the oppressed.
Obadiah details the main reason for the judgment of Edom: "Because of the violence you did to your close relatives in Israel, you will be filled with shame and destroyed forever" (v.10). The details of the violence against Israel are given in the next four verses: They stood aloof and withheld assistance (v.11).
They rejoiced over Judah's downfall (v.12). They plundered Jerusalem (v.13). They prevented the escape of Judah's fugitives (v.14). Edom's sins against Israel progressed downwards. At first their sin was simply indifference, but then it became the promotion of evil and, finally, participation in the evil. This reveals sin's downward path. While writing this article, I received a text message. A church friend was asking for my help. I was tempted to ignore it, as it would inconvenience me. However, I was reminded that Edom's downfall began with withholding assistance. So I quickly attended to the request. Often we'd like to think that somebody else's trouble is none of our business, but Galatians 6:9-10 reminds us, "So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone, especially to those in the family of faith." , Poh Fang Chia
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more