Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Since we died with Christ, we know that we will also live with Him (Romans 6:8).
Who wrote the oldest lyrics for a #1 Billboard hit song? In 1965, the folk rock band The Byrds covered Pete Seeger’s song “Turn! Turn! Turn!” That song made it to #1. Almost all the lyrics are straight out of Ecclesiastes 3, making them 3,000 years old. King Solomon, Ecclesiastes’ author, should get royalties!
The song’s success is indicative of the Bible’s timelessness. Ecclesiastes is a book for all seasons, exposing our human condition. But the book can also sound fatalistic. Listen to the incessant beat of its poetry: A time to be born and a time to die. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to grieve and a time to dance. A time to love and a time to hate.
A time to kill?A time to hate? Are bad things just as valid as good things? What is Solomon saying? Tellingly, Solomon starts his book by writing these hopeless words: “Everything is meaningless . . . completely meaningless!” (Ecclesiastes 1:2). One logical inference from that premise is this: “I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life” (8:15).
A text acronym making the rounds today is YOLO: You Only Live Once. That trendy acronym sounds like Solomon. But the party philosophy glamorizes risky behavior in lieu of promoting a healthy zest for living. It’s a thin but crucial line. Without a reason to live—without a true purpose in life—we miss the importance of life’s seasons.
That’s the wisdom of those ancient song lyrics. When we ponder that there’s a season for everything, including a time to die, we can begin to appreciate the truth that life’s big questions have answers that lie outside of ourselves.
What do we learn about death and a second life in Romans 6:5-11?
What do Solomon’s words “a time to die” mean to you? How do they affect the way you’re living today?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more