Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Since we died with Christ, we know that we will also live with Him (Romans 6:8).
Who wrote the oldest lyrics for a #1 Billboard hit song? In 1965, the folk rock band The Byrds covered Pete Seeger’s song “Turn! Turn! Turn!” That song made it to #1. Almost all the lyrics are straight out of Ecclesiastes 3, making them 3,000 years old. King Solomon, Ecclesiastes’ author, should get royalties!
The song’s success is indicative of the Bible’s timelessness. Ecclesiastes is a book for all seasons, exposing our human condition. But the book can also sound fatalistic. Listen to the incessant beat of its poetry: A time to be born and a time to die. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to grieve and a time to dance. A time to love and a time to hate.
A time to kill?A time to hate? Are bad things just as valid as good things? What is Solomon saying? Tellingly, Solomon starts his book by writing these hopeless words: “Everything is meaningless . . . completely meaningless!” (Ecclesiastes 1:2). One logical inference from that premise is this: “I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life” (8:15).
A text acronym making the rounds today is YOLO: You Only Live Once. That trendy acronym sounds like Solomon. But the party philosophy glamorizes risky behavior in lieu of promoting a healthy zest for living. It’s a thin but crucial line. Without a reason to live—without a true purpose in life—we miss the importance of life’s seasons.
That’s the wisdom of those ancient song lyrics. When we ponder that there’s a season for everything, including a time to die, we can begin to appreciate the truth that life’s big questions have answers that lie outside of ourselves.
What do we learn about death and a second life in Romans 6:5-11?
What do Solomon’s words “a time to die” mean to you? How do they affect the way you’re living today?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more