Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
She tormented him with her nagging day after day until he was sick to death of it (v.16).
I’ve never stood in high places or wielded authority over the masses, but in my little corner of the world I’ve felt its pull. Whether I’m trying to keep my heart from pain, make my husband agree with me, or prevent my children from experiencing hardship, the root is the same—control. We all face (and at times succumb to) the temptation to grasp for power. While we may turn to Judges 16 to study Samson, the passage shows us that Delilah had some serious issues. Her story illustrates several lessons why we should resist the desire to control.First, control begins and ends with self. Delilah saw that betraying Samson would benefit her financially (vv.5-6) and help her to gain favor with others. Wrapping her lies in love, she used her affection to get what she wanted. In doing so, she defined Samson’s love for her based on whether or not her own needs were met. Ironically, she questions the authenticity of his love while planning his capture. Claiming love, she cared only about her own desires, even at someone else’s expense.Second, control blinds.
Quick to point out Samson’s deception, she remained unconcerned about her own web of lies (v.10). Holding Samson to a different standard than she was willing to follow, she fell into the trap of situational ethics as she let her circumstances determine her moral stance.Last, control destroys relationships. Using her lap, a symbol of comfort and nurture, Delilah seemed poised as a safe place—but in reality she was the danger. Control is no different. Pretending to guarantee safety, control instead brings bondage and betrayal.Jesus asks for our trust. Submitting to Him isn’t about losing power, but rather gaining freedom (Galatians 5:1).
Read Philippians 2:3. What does this passage teach us about what it means to walk in the power Christ offers?
Where are you facing the temptation to grasp for control? How can surrendering this area to the Lord bring about greater freedom in your life?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more