Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
She tormented him with her nagging day after day until he was sick to death of it (v.16).
I’ve never stood in high places or wielded authority over the masses, but in my little corner of the world I’ve felt its pull. Whether I’m trying to keep my heart from pain, make my husband agree with me, or prevent my children from experiencing hardship, the root is the same—control. We all face (and at times succumb to) the temptation to grasp for power. While we may turn to Judges 16 to study Samson, the passage shows us that Delilah had some serious issues. Her story illustrates several lessons why we should resist the desire to control.First, control begins and ends with self. Delilah saw that betraying Samson would benefit her financially (vv.5-6) and help her to gain favor with others. Wrapping her lies in love, she used her affection to get what she wanted. In doing so, she defined Samson’s love for her based on whether or not her own needs were met. Ironically, she questions the authenticity of his love while planning his capture. Claiming love, she cared only about her own desires, even at someone else’s expense.Second, control blinds.
Quick to point out Samson’s deception, she remained unconcerned about her own web of lies (v.10). Holding Samson to a different standard than she was willing to follow, she fell into the trap of situational ethics as she let her circumstances determine her moral stance.Last, control destroys relationships. Using her lap, a symbol of comfort and nurture, Delilah seemed poised as a safe place—but in reality she was the danger. Control is no different. Pretending to guarantee safety, control instead brings bondage and betrayal.Jesus asks for our trust. Submitting to Him isn’t about losing power, but rather gaining freedom (Galatians 5:1).
Read Philippians 2:3. What does this passage teach us about what it means to walk in the power Christ offers?
Where are you facing the temptation to grasp for control? How can surrendering this area to the Lord bring about greater freedom in your life?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more