Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last (v.30).
Alex Eklund likes beautiful women. He believes, however, that true beauty comes from the heart and character of a woman. In fact, he says he would “rather have a Proverbs 31:1 wife than a Victoria’s Secret model.”
Eklund posted this comment after noticing the fallout from the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. Watching this event prompted some of his female friends to air feelings like these on Facebook: “I’m going to have to hit the gym after this” and “I’m going to starve myself for a week.”
The Proverbs 31 woman doesn’t get a second glance for her slim figure or perfect muscle tone. And yet, she surpasses every other virtuous and capable woman in the world (v.29). Her brand of beauty is based on her conduct and character, rather than her clothing, hair, and make-up. The Proverbs 31:1 woman excels in three main areas:
She manages her money well(vv.16,24). She earns an income, and invests it carefully. She’s generous with “the poor and opens her arms to the needy” (v.20).
She works diligently(v.17). She keeps long hours (vv.15,18). Her work benefits those in her household and beyond (vv.20,24). She plans ahead (v.21) and is resourceful (vv.13-14).
She speaks with understanding(vv.25-26). Kindness and wisdom characterize her words. She models “good and helpful” speech that can encourage people (Eph. 4:29).
Aspiring to be this kind of a person is far better than trying to morph ourselves into runway models. “Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last” (Proverbs 31:30).
Fortunately, we can clothe ourselves with “the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit” (1 Peter 3:3), which endears us to God and gives the world a glimpse of beauty at its best.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might a preoccupation with physical beauty affect our spiritual lives? How does the Bible support the idea that it’s possible to be beautiful at any age?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more