Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last (v.30).
Alex Eklund likes beautiful women. He believes, however, that true beauty comes from the heart and character of a woman. In fact, he says he would “rather have a Proverbs 31:1 wife than a Victoria’s Secret model.”
Eklund posted this comment after noticing the fallout from the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. Watching this event prompted some of his female friends to air feelings like these on Facebook: “I’m going to have to hit the gym after this” and “I’m going to starve myself for a week.”
The Proverbs 31 woman doesn’t get a second glance for her slim figure or perfect muscle tone. And yet, she surpasses every other virtuous and capable woman in the world (v.29). Her brand of beauty is based on her conduct and character, rather than her clothing, hair, and make-up. The Proverbs 31:1 woman excels in three main areas:
She manages her money well(vv.16,24). She earns an income, and invests it carefully. She’s generous with “the poor and opens her arms to the needy” (v.20).
She works diligently(v.17). She keeps long hours (vv.15,18). Her work benefits those in her household and beyond (vv.20,24). She plans ahead (v.21) and is resourceful (vv.13-14).
She speaks with understanding(vv.25-26). Kindness and wisdom characterize her words. She models “good and helpful” speech that can encourage people (Eph. 4:29).
Aspiring to be this kind of a person is far better than trying to morph ourselves into runway models. “Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last” (Proverbs 31:30).
Fortunately, we can clothe ourselves with “the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit” (1 Peter 3:3), which endears us to God and gives the world a glimpse of beauty at its best.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might a preoccupation with physical beauty affect our spiritual lives? How does the Bible support the idea that it’s possible to be beautiful at any age?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more