God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last (v.30).
Alex Eklund likes beautiful women. He believes, however, that true beauty comes from the heart and character of a woman. In fact, he says he would “rather have a Proverbs 31:1 wife than a Victoria’s Secret model.”
Eklund posted this comment after noticing the fallout from the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. Watching this event prompted some of his female friends to air feelings like these on Facebook: “I’m going to have to hit the gym after this” and “I’m going to starve myself for a week.”
The Proverbs 31 woman doesn’t get a second glance for her slim figure or perfect muscle tone. And yet, she surpasses every other virtuous and capable woman in the world (v.29). Her brand of beauty is based on her conduct and character, rather than her clothing, hair, and make-up. The Proverbs 31:1 woman excels in three main areas:
She manages her money well(vv.16,24). She earns an income, and invests it carefully. She’s generous with “the poor and opens her arms to the needy” (v.20).
She works diligently(v.17). She keeps long hours (vv.15,18). Her work benefits those in her household and beyond (vv.20,24). She plans ahead (v.21) and is resourceful (vv.13-14).
She speaks with understanding(vv.25-26). Kindness and wisdom characterize her words. She models “good and helpful” speech that can encourage people (Eph. 4:29).
Aspiring to be this kind of a person is far better than trying to morph ourselves into runway models. “Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last” (Proverbs 31:30).
Fortunately, we can clothe ourselves with “the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit” (1 Peter 3:3), which endears us to God and gives the world a glimpse of beauty at its best.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might a preoccupation with physical beauty affect our spiritual lives? How does the Bible support the idea that it’s possible to be beautiful at any age?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more