Not about FameHow has Jesus changed your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
[Eve] took some of the fruit and ate it (v.6).
Our 7-year-old son, Seth, has a strong mischievous
streak. Recently, well after bedtime, we heard
the sounds of suspicious activity upstairs. I called
to Seth in a firm tone, asking what he was doing since
he was supposed to be in bed. Silence. Seth’s mind was
rapidly sifting through any plausible excuse he could offer.
Finally, he simply said, “Oh, Dad, just ground me.”
Genesis provides a litany of humanity’s inexplicable,
inexcusable disobedience—a history of human folly:
• Disobedience. At the outset, in the most perplexing
act, Eve and Adam spurned God, ate forbidden fruit,
and lost their place in the Garden (3:1-7).
• Disobedience. The first children, our first set of
brothers, gave us our first violent act—murder (4:1-9).
• Disobedience. Eventually God recognized “that
everything [humanity] thought or imagined was
consistently and totally evil” (6:5).
•Disobedience. Finally, attempting to rival God,
humanity built a tower (Babel) to reach the heavens,
asserting their will over God’s (11:1-4).
Following this bitter list of human rebellion, Genesis 11
closes by recapping the genealogy from Shem to Abram.
The lineage ends with these sad words: “Sarai [Abram’s
wife] was barren.” And to make certain we get the point,
Scripture adds this exclamation point: “Sarai . . . had no
children” (v.30). Humanity was barren, empty. Humanity
had refused God and followed life on its own terms. A world God had intended to
flourish was now dry and withering.
The story begged for a rescue, for new life to come again. In time,however,
God allowed an old woman—Sarai—to become pregnant; and still later
God sent His own Son to infuse new life. Our efforts lead to barrenness, but
following God leads to life.
In what areas of your life are you tempted to be disobedient to
God? How do you see barrenness resulting from
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more