Always LovedEven before he made the world, God loved us and chose us.
Top Christian Music Videos
[Eve] took some of the fruit and ate it (v.6).
Our 7-year-old son, Seth, has a strong mischievous
streak. Recently, well after bedtime, we heard
the sounds of suspicious activity upstairs. I called
to Seth in a firm tone, asking what he was doing since
he was supposed to be in bed. Silence. Seth’s mind was
rapidly sifting through any plausible excuse he could offer.
Finally, he simply said, “Oh, Dad, just ground me.”
Genesis provides a litany of humanity’s inexplicable,
inexcusable disobedience—a history of human folly:
• Disobedience. At the outset, in the most perplexing
act, Eve and Adam spurned God, ate forbidden fruit,
and lost their place in the Garden (3:1-7).
• Disobedience. The first children, our first set of
brothers, gave us our first violent act—murder (4:1-9).
• Disobedience. Eventually God recognized “that
everything [humanity] thought or imagined was
consistently and totally evil” (6:5).
•Disobedience. Finally, attempting to rival God,
humanity built a tower (Babel) to reach the heavens,
asserting their will over God’s (11:1-4).
Following this bitter list of human rebellion, Genesis 11
closes by recapping the genealogy from Shem to Abram.
The lineage ends with these sad words: “Sarai [Abram’s
wife] was barren.” And to make certain we get the point,
Scripture adds this exclamation point: “Sarai . . . had no
children” (v.30). Humanity was barren, empty. Humanity
had refused God and followed life on its own terms. A world God had intended to
flourish was now dry and withering.
The story begged for a rescue, for new life to come again. In time,however,
God allowed an old woman—Sarai—to become pregnant; and still later
God sent His own Son to infuse new life. Our efforts lead to barrenness, but
following God leads to life.
In what areas of your life are you tempted to be disobedient to
God? How do you see barrenness resulting from
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more