LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
[Eve] took some of the fruit and ate it (v.6).
Our 7-year-old son, Seth, has a strong mischievous
streak. Recently, well after bedtime, we heard
the sounds of suspicious activity upstairs. I called
to Seth in a firm tone, asking what he was doing since
he was supposed to be in bed. Silence. Seth’s mind was
rapidly sifting through any plausible excuse he could offer.
Finally, he simply said, “Oh, Dad, just ground me.”
Genesis provides a litany of humanity’s inexplicable,
inexcusable disobedience—a history of human folly:
• Disobedience. At the outset, in the most perplexing
act, Eve and Adam spurned God, ate forbidden fruit,
and lost their place in the Garden (3:1-7).
• Disobedience. The first children, our first set of
brothers, gave us our first violent act—murder (4:1-9).
• Disobedience. Eventually God recognized “that
everything [humanity] thought or imagined was
consistently and totally evil” (6:5).
•Disobedience. Finally, attempting to rival God,
humanity built a tower (Babel) to reach the heavens,
asserting their will over God’s (11:1-4).
Following this bitter list of human rebellion, Genesis 11
closes by recapping the genealogy from Shem to Abram.
The lineage ends with these sad words: “Sarai [Abram’s
wife] was barren.” And to make certain we get the point,
Scripture adds this exclamation point: “Sarai . . . had no
children” (v.30). Humanity was barren, empty. Humanity
had refused God and followed life on its own terms. A world God had intended to
flourish was now dry and withering.
The story begged for a rescue, for new life to come again. In time,however,
God allowed an old woman—Sarai—to become pregnant; and still later
God sent His own Son to infuse new life. Our efforts lead to barrenness, but
following God leads to life.
In what areas of your life are you tempted to be disobedient to
God? How do you see barrenness resulting from
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more