Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together! (v.21).
What’s one thing you hope to hear God say to you in heaven? I’m guessing it’s these words: “Well done, My good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21). This verse is quoted so often that it’s invaluable that we understand its meaning.
In this passage, Jesus is like the master who entrusted his money to his servants before he went away. Though he will be gone for a long time, he will eventually return and settle accounts with his servants (v.19). Similarly, believers live between the times—that is, between the beginning of the end and the consummation of the end. Despite the seemingly long wait, we need to watch and be ready for our Lord’s return.
So, how can we be ready? The parable presents two positive examples and one negative. The obedient servants took the risk and invested their master’s money to bring the greatest possible return to him when he arrived. The wicked and lazy servant, on the other hand, played it safe and buried the money. His reasoning was deemed as an excuse. The master’s argument is that no matter what the servant’s opinion of him is, whether accurate or distorted, a true servant would act in accord with his master’s expectation.
Pastor Ray Stedman summarized the parable’s key lesson this way: “Opportunities to display abilities and gifts come to all kinds of people, Christian or not. We can play it safe and get what we can for ourselves—or we can risk reputation, possessions, and life itself so that God may have what He wants.”
Let’s get ready for Jesus’ return by learning to take bold risks for His sake. Then, when we meet Him, we can be sure He’ll say to us: “Well done, My good and faithful servant.”
—Poh Fang Chia
How have you been investing your life in God’s kingdom? Are you taking bold risks or have you been playing it safe? What do you need to do differently?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more