Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
My heart has heard You say, “Come and talk with Me.” And my heart
responds, “Lord, I am coming” (v.8).
Throughout the day, my husband and I text each
other. Some texts consist of requests for information
or reminders of a to-do list. Oftentimes, though, a
brief message conveying our love does wonders to boost
our sense of closeness in an otherwise busy day. A quick
text, however, can only accentuate what has already
been formed in the larger context of the time and energy
invested in our relationship. To expect our marriage to live
on texts alone would not only be foolish, but would also
speak volumes about the value we place on intimacy.
Prayer is our means of communication with Jesus—
the One who loved us enough to selflessly bear our
punishment on the cross. If perceived as a requirement,
something outside the context of love, prayer can easily
become a series of words rooted in works. Just as a
marriage will falter when communication becomes
obligatory, so too our relationship with Jesus can
become awkward and stilted if we don’t understand the
true heart of prayer.
More consistent than any human could ever be (Psalm
27:10), God is our true refuge (vv.1-3). Prayer, however,
is much bigger than our telling God what we want.
When we expect Him to answer our cries for help and
then respond with a “text” message to His work, our
concept of prayer becomes small and self-serving. Quick
prayers have their place, but only when the foundation
of invested time and intimacy has been laid.
Prayer is a discipline—a skill we grow in over a period of time. Even the
disciples—after seeing Jesus preach to the multitudes, heal the sick, and leave
the Pharisees speechless—saw prayer as an area in which they needed to grow
in understanding (Luke 11:1). Do we see prayer in the same way?
What happens to our natural relationships if our communication never
goes any deeper than surface-level responses? What does it mean to be
face-to-face with God?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more