Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
My heart has heard You say, “Come and talk with Me.” And my heart
responds, “Lord, I am coming” (v.8).
Throughout the day, my husband and I text each
other. Some texts consist of requests for information
or reminders of a to-do list. Oftentimes, though, a
brief message conveying our love does wonders to boost
our sense of closeness in an otherwise busy day. A quick
text, however, can only accentuate what has already
been formed in the larger context of the time and energy
invested in our relationship. To expect our marriage to live
on texts alone would not only be foolish, but would also
speak volumes about the value we place on intimacy.
Prayer is our means of communication with Jesus—
the One who loved us enough to selflessly bear our
punishment on the cross. If perceived as a requirement,
something outside the context of love, prayer can easily
become a series of words rooted in works. Just as a
marriage will falter when communication becomes
obligatory, so too our relationship with Jesus can
become awkward and stilted if we don’t understand the
true heart of prayer.
More consistent than any human could ever be (Psalm
27:10), God is our true refuge (vv.1-3). Prayer, however,
is much bigger than our telling God what we want.
When we expect Him to answer our cries for help and
then respond with a “text” message to His work, our
concept of prayer becomes small and self-serving. Quick
prayers have their place, but only when the foundation
of invested time and intimacy has been laid.
Prayer is a discipline—a skill we grow in over a period of time. Even the
disciples—after seeing Jesus preach to the multitudes, heal the sick, and leave
the Pharisees speechless—saw prayer as an area in which they needed to grow
in understanding (Luke 11:1). Do we see prayer in the same way?
What happens to our natural relationships if our communication never
goes any deeper than surface-level responses? What does it mean to be
face-to-face with God?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more