Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Squash the Beef
Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord (Leviticus 19:18).
During a promotional event, two 73-year-old former Canadian Football League players got into a fistfight on stage. They had a “beef” (a grudge or feud between friends, family members, or enemies) dating back to a controversial championship football game in November 1963. After one of the senior citizens knocked the other off the stage, the crowd yelled at him to “let it go!” In essence, they were telling him to “squash the beef.”
The Bible is riddled with examples of people “beefing.” Cain held a grudge against his brother Abel, because God accepted Abel’s offering over his. This grudge was so severe that it eventually led to murder (Genesis 4:4).
Esau held a grudge against Jacob because Jacob stole the birthright that was rightfully his (27:41). The wronged brother’s grudge was so intense that it caused Jacob to run for his life in fear.
Joseph’s brothers held a grudge against him because he was favored and more deeply loved by their father Jacob. Their grudge led to intense hatred and would have led to murder, had it not been averted by one of the brothers (37:18-20). Joseph’s brothers were so controlled by fear and guilt that they assumed he would hold a grudge and exact revenge against them for selling him into slavery (50:15).
In each of these cases a person or persons had a persistent feeling of ill will against another—the lingering effects of injury or insult.
Not only is the Bible littered with examples of people who held grudges, it’s also replete with instructions on how to “squash the beef.” God instructs His people to love (Leviticus 19:18), pray for, and forgive people who insult and injure (Romans 12:14), live peaceably with all people (v.18), leave revenge to God (v.19), and overcome evil with good (v.21).
Read Genesis 33:1 and jot down some lessons from two people who squashed the beef.
Have you ever held a grudge? Against whom and for what? How did you resolve the issue? How does squashing your beefs bring glory to God?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more