Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Squash the Beef
Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord (Leviticus 19:18).
During a promotional event, two 73-year-old former Canadian Football League players got into a fistfight on stage. They had a “beef” (a grudge or feud between friends, family members, or enemies) dating back to a controversial championship football game in November 1963. After one of the senior citizens knocked the other off the stage, the crowd yelled at him to “let it go!” In essence, they were telling him to “squash the beef.”
The Bible is riddled with examples of people “beefing.” Cain held a grudge against his brother Abel, because God accepted Abel’s offering over his. This grudge was so severe that it eventually led to murder (Genesis 4:4).
Esau held a grudge against Jacob because Jacob stole the birthright that was rightfully his (27:41). The wronged brother’s grudge was so intense that it caused Jacob to run for his life in fear.
Joseph’s brothers held a grudge against him because he was favored and more deeply loved by their father Jacob. Their grudge led to intense hatred and would have led to murder, had it not been averted by one of the brothers (37:18-20). Joseph’s brothers were so controlled by fear and guilt that they assumed he would hold a grudge and exact revenge against them for selling him into slavery (50:15).
In each of these cases a person or persons had a persistent feeling of ill will against another—the lingering effects of injury or insult.
Not only is the Bible littered with examples of people who held grudges, it’s also replete with instructions on how to “squash the beef.” God instructs His people to love (Leviticus 19:18), pray for, and forgive people who insult and injure (Romans 12:14), live peaceably with all people (v.18), leave revenge to God (v.19), and overcome evil with good (v.21).
Read Genesis 33:1 and jot down some lessons from two people who squashed the beef.
Have you ever held a grudge? Against whom and for what? How did you resolve the issue? How does squashing your beefs bring glory to God?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more