MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
The thud of bull hooves rumbles across the square. Swirls of dust rise into the air. Sheep bleat, doves flap their wings, and traders yell. "Stop turning my Father's house into a marketplace!" He screams. The Prince of Peace is raising a ruckus.
He wields the cords and flips the tables (Matthew 21:12); the crowds part like the Red Sea. Mothers clutch their crying children. A cage overturns and doves fly free, an offering sent heavenward by a whip-swinging Savior.
Sometimes we get Jesus wrong. We think of a soft, serene Savior ("the poor baby awakes"), a meek and mild Nazarene ("no crying he makes"), and we forget that some in Jesus' time thought He was John the Baptist or Elijah returned from death (Mark 8:28). The Son of God wasn't thought of as some gentle guru of love, peace, and harmony. He was likened to a wild, thunderous, locust-eating prophet.
Surely Jesus was a teacher of love. His clearing of the Temple was no anti-business protest. The traders had set up shop in the Temple's Outer Court, the only place where women and God-fearing Gentiles could worship. That act disrespected both God and worshiper; Jesus' response was a passionate portrayal of love for both. And surely Jesus was a prophet of peace, teaching the turning of cheeks and the loving of enemies. But that didn't negate His wrathful confronting of error. As Dorothy Sayers has said, "Whatever His peace was, it was not the peace of an amiable indifference."
No, Jesus could be a powerful, angry, passionate personality, the only kind worthy of our full allegiance and trust. For what Savior would wink at greed and injustice? And what God could be worshiped who showed "amiable indifference" to the wronged? , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more