Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
The ancient Romans were really nice people. Sure, their responsibilities demanded a certain demonstration of power, but given the large territory they governed, it was in their best interest to keep everyone happy.
One way they did this was to honor the gods of everyone in their kingdom. Rome built the Pantheon, which literally means "all the gods," so that every group would feel that their god was respected.
Everyone was fine with this arrangement except the Jews, whom the Romans confined to Palestine, and the Christians, who overran the borders of Israel and went international. The Christians insisted that they alone worshiped the one true God.
Put yourself in the emperor's sandals. What do you do with such people? You persecute them. You don't want to. You wonder, "Why can't we all just get along?" But you also know that if you allow the Christians' divisive message to continue, it won't be long till the fragile fabric of your multicultural empire will be destroyed. So for the sake of your kingdom, the Christians must go.
Christians today have the same message: "Jesus is Lord." We are also living in the same kind of diverse, multicultural world. We receive many benefits from our shrinking global village. We enjoy meeting people who are different, learning their customs, and eating their food.
But the one thing we're not allowed to say, the one thing that sounds dangerously divisive in our pluralistic world, is that Jesus is the only way to God (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). First-century Christians didn't shrink from this claim, but they aggressively and humbly announced that Jesus, not Caesar, is the world's only Lord. Now it's our turn. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more