Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
Lost & Found
The Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost (19:10).
Everyone has had the dreaded experience of losing
something. Cell phones, keys, wallets, and money
are all prime examples. The existence of Lost
& Found departments in shopping malls tells me that
people losing things is a common experience. Things are
lost. Things are found. We’re mighty glad and relieved
when lost things are returned to us!
Why would you relentlessly search for a misplaced
$1,000, but not bother to go after a nickel you
misplaced? Lost things of significant value will cause us
to make a great effort to recover them. Jesus used this
truth to try and open the Pharisees’ hearts and eyes.
Offended by those whom Jesus spent time with, the
Pharisees and the religious teachers complained that “He
was associating with such sinful people—even eating
with them!” (Luke 15:2). Intended to be a scathing attack
on Jesus’ character, they had instead affirmed the very
work Jesus came to do: To save those who knew they
were lost sinners (Matthew 9:13; Luke 19:10).
In response to their self-righteous attitudes, Jesus told
them three different stories—a lost sheep (15:3-7), a lost
coin (vv.8-10), and a lost son (vv.11-24). The objects in
the tales increase in proportion and importance: Lost
sheep (1 of 100), lost coin (1 of 10), lost son (1 of 2).
Luke 15 is like the Lost & Found department of the
Bible. All three stories can be summarized by just four
words: lost, search, found, rejoice. All three stories paint for us an unmistakable
picture of who God is. He is the seeking shepherd, the searching woman, and
the waiting father.
And there’s a simple reason for His relentless searching (vv.4,8) and
subsequent rejoicing (vv.6,9,24): You are of great value to Him! (vv.7,10, 32).
Why were “tax collectors and other notorious sinners” attracted to
Jesus? Would “sinful people” be comfortable with you? Why?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more