LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Lost & Found
The Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost (19:10).
Everyone has had the dreaded experience of losing
something. Cell phones, keys, wallets, and money
are all prime examples. The existence of Lost
& Found departments in shopping malls tells me that
people losing things is a common experience. Things are
lost. Things are found. We’re mighty glad and relieved
when lost things are returned to us!
Why would you relentlessly search for a misplaced
$1,000, but not bother to go after a nickel you
misplaced? Lost things of significant value will cause us
to make a great effort to recover them. Jesus used this
truth to try and open the Pharisees’ hearts and eyes.
Offended by those whom Jesus spent time with, the
Pharisees and the religious teachers complained that “He
was associating with such sinful people—even eating
with them!” (Luke 15:2). Intended to be a scathing attack
on Jesus’ character, they had instead affirmed the very
work Jesus came to do: To save those who knew they
were lost sinners (Matthew 9:13; Luke 19:10).
In response to their self-righteous attitudes, Jesus told
them three different stories—a lost sheep (15:3-7), a lost
coin (vv.8-10), and a lost son (vv.11-24). The objects in
the tales increase in proportion and importance: Lost
sheep (1 of 100), lost coin (1 of 10), lost son (1 of 2).
Luke 15 is like the Lost & Found department of the
Bible. All three stories can be summarized by just four
words: lost, search, found, rejoice. All three stories paint for us an unmistakable
picture of who God is. He is the seeking shepherd, the searching woman, and
the waiting father.
And there’s a simple reason for His relentless searching (vv.4,8) and
subsequent rejoicing (vv.6,9,24): You are of great value to Him! (vv.7,10, 32).
Why were “tax collectors and other notorious sinners” attracted to
Jesus? Would “sinful people” be comfortable with you? Why?
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more