Responding to SufferingHow do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?
Top Music Videos
Lost & Found
The Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost (19:10).
Everyone has had the dreaded experience of losing
something. Cell phones, keys, wallets, and money
are all prime examples. The existence of Lost
& Found departments in shopping malls tells me that
people losing things is a common experience. Things are
lost. Things are found. We’re mighty glad and relieved
when lost things are returned to us!
Why would you relentlessly search for a misplaced
$1,000, but not bother to go after a nickel you
misplaced? Lost things of significant value will cause us
to make a great effort to recover them. Jesus used this
truth to try and open the Pharisees’ hearts and eyes.
Offended by those whom Jesus spent time with, the
Pharisees and the religious teachers complained that “He
was associating with such sinful people—even eating
with them!” (Luke 15:2). Intended to be a scathing attack
on Jesus’ character, they had instead affirmed the very
work Jesus came to do: To save those who knew they
were lost sinners (Matthew 9:13; Luke 19:10).
In response to their self-righteous attitudes, Jesus told
them three different stories—a lost sheep (15:3-7), a lost
coin (vv.8-10), and a lost son (vv.11-24). The objects in
the tales increase in proportion and importance: Lost
sheep (1 of 100), lost coin (1 of 10), lost son (1 of 2).
Luke 15 is like the Lost & Found department of the
Bible. All three stories can be summarized by just four
words: lost, search, found, rejoice. All three stories paint for us an unmistakable
picture of who God is. He is the seeking shepherd, the searching woman, and
the waiting father.
And there’s a simple reason for His relentless searching (vv.4,8) and
subsequent rejoicing (vv.6,9,24): You are of great value to Him! (vv.7,10, 32).
Why were “tax collectors and other notorious sinners” attracted to
Jesus? Would “sinful people” be comfortable with you? Why?
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more