Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
As the United States slipped into the Great Depression of the 1930s, a broken right hand forced James Braddock out of professional boxing. Money was hard to come by, so Braddock worked menial jobs to make ends meet.
Thanks to a boxer withdrawing from a bout at the last moment, Braddock eventually got another shot to box the No. 2 contender in the world. No one thought he had a chance, but he shocked the boxing world with a third-round-knockout win.
Braddock's stunning victory resurrected his career. Nicknamed "Cinderella Man," Braddock went on to pull off one of the greatest upsets in boxing history by defeating Max Baer for the heavyweight title of the world.
The Old Testament tells the story of another "Cinderella Man." After informing Saul that God had rejected him as Israel's king, He sent to Bethlehem to anoint one of Jesse's sons as the next ruler (1 Samuel 16:1). When Samuel first spotted Jesse's oldest son, he thought for sure he was the one (1 Samuel 16:6). But God told Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7).
Eventually God directed Samuel to Jesse's youngest son, David, who had been relegated to the job of tending sheep. Apparently he didn't seem kingly, but God saw something developing within the heart of this young shepherd that no one else had seen.
Do you sometimes feel as if you're in a Cinderella role? Take heart and be open to learn. God may be giving you smaller assignments as training grounds to prepare you for a much larger role. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more