MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
An anonymous person wrote: "I knelt to pray but not for long, I had too much to do. So I knelt and said a hurried prayer, and jumped up off my knees. My Christian duty was now done; my soul could rest at ease."
Let's contrast that view of prayer with the actions of the persistent widow in Luke 18. They're strikingly different. The widow didn't just drop by now and then to pay the judge a visit. She came to the judge repeatedly (v.3). Her soul wouldn't rest until her case was heard. Why? Because she wasn't asking for some special favor, she was simply seeking justice.
In those days, it was common practice to bribe an attendant in order to have your court case heard by the judge. The widow was probably too poor to do that. What's more, the judge she was appealing to neither feared God nor cared about people (v.4). So she had every reason to lose heart. Due to her persistence, however, she received justice (v.5).
Now before we start thinking that God needs to be pestered, argued with, and bribed in order to have our prayers answered, it's important to understand that this parable is contrasting the unjust judge with the one truly just Judge. God is eager to answer the prayers of His children. In fact, He will "grant justice to them quickly!" (v.8; Matthew 7:11).
We often lose heart in prayer because we don't understand God's timing or purpose. But there's a better way. One writer put it like this: "Persistent prayer is the demonstration of faith in God who, while at times may delay His answers, will always act decisively and justly with respect to His people." Keep on praying! , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more