Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
The Oprah Effect
2 Kings 5
Is this the time to receive
money and clothing,
olive groves and
vineyards, sheep and
cattle, and male and
While managing media and public relations
for a handful of leading Washington, DC based
nonprofits, I found that nearly every
organization I worked for craved recognition on The
Oprah Winfrey Show. Their aspiration came as no
surprise. Oprah Winfrey, after all, is “The queen of talk,
a cultural and financial icon and her impact on business
(and charities) is worth billions,” according to CNBC host
Carl Quintanilla. “Oprah Winfrey is the most influential
woman in America—maybe in the world.”
Experts have coined the term “The Oprah Effect” to
describe her unparalleled ability to boost companies’
bottom lines and to take organizations from no name to
brand name. Some of us would love to benefit from the
Oprah Effect, or most any other “rainmaker.” We can
readily imagine what we would do with the potential
added resources. Many of us would likely give more to the
poor, expand our influence, and live more comfortably.
Scripture states, however, that there are times when
we must refrain from pursuing or receiving material gifts.
In the case of the prophet Elisha, for example, it would
have been wrong for him to request or accept gifts for the
healing of Naaman’s leprosy (2 Kings 5:15-16).
Elisha knew that if he accepted Naaman’s “thank you”
gift, the army commander would credit man, not God, for
his healing. So even when Naaman persisted, Elisha stood
firm, saying, “As surely as the Lord lives . . . I will not accept any gifts” (v.16).
I know a sports chaplain who refuses to accept gifts from the professional
athletes he works with because he doesn’t want them to question his motives. He
simply wants to teach them the Word of God.
Today, consider when you should refuse a gift in order to point someone to God.
• Genesis 14:22-23
• Acts 20:33
• 1 Thessalonians 2:9
List some instances where
you might miss God’s
blessings by accepting
material gifts. When is it
appropriate to give and
receive material gifts?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more