Testing for TruthIs the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?
Top Music Videos
You must be careful to keep all of My decrees and regulations by putting them into practice. I am the Lord (v.37).
I love knowledge. As a child, after stumbling across a picture Bible in the library, I wanted to read the real Bible. I had the impression that it was simply a thick book with tiny words, full of information like an encyclopedia. But as I read the real Bible, I realized that knowledge is good but wisdom is much, much better.
Today I recognize that I need to view life in the light of God’s Word. It’s not simply about knowing His Word, I need to have a comprehensive working knowledge of it. As finite beings, however, we have a natural tendency to emphasize certain passages in the Bible and to neglect others.
For example, we might frown if someone considers getting a tattoo: “Do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord” (Leviticus 19:28). Yet, we might politely excuse that same person for missing church, or turn a blind eye to her disrespect toward the elderly. In the same passage, God said, “Keep my Sabbath days of rest, and show reverence toward my sanctuary. I am the Lord” (v.30) and “Stand up in the presence of the elderly, and show respect for the aged. Fear your God. I am the Lord” (v.32).
So, how can we “be careful to keep all of [God’s] decrees”? (v.37).
John MacArthur’s prayer gives us a clue, “God, we know [that knowing You and Your Word] is more than academic. We know it’s more than just reading and mentally comprehending. It’s to be filled with that knowledge, to love it, to cherish it, to find ourselves saturated by it, and in our minds to be able to draw principles that can be applied in acts of spiritual understanding and issue in a worthy walk.”
May this be our prayer too.
—Poh Fang Chia
Note how John MacArthur’s prayer echoes the words of the apostle Paul in Colossians 1:9.
How can you ensure that your study of God’s Word isn’t merely academic? What would it take for you to acquire a comprehensive working knowledge of the Bible?
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more