Another OptionWhat wisdom from Scripture can help you in a dilemma?
Top Christian Music Videos
If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it.
But if you give up your life for My sake, you will
save it (v.24).
A stock market consultant recently suggested, “People
should always sell when they have a better place
to put their money.” While true, the challenge is
recognizing when one place is better than another, which,
of course, no one can identify with any level of certainty.
I typically respond to this sort of financial advice with a
resounding “Duh! No kidding?” It’s like telling investors to
buy low and sell high. Please tell us something we don’t
Jesus once gave a crowd of people some fresh
“advice.” He said, “If you try to hang on to your life, you
will lose it. But if you give up your life for My sake, you
will save it” (Luke 9:24). I doubt there were few, if any,
in the crowd who said. “Well, duh.” Instead, most stood
there scratching their heads, thinking, Huh?
Although Jesus drove home this thought on more than
one occasion (Matthew 16:25; Luke 17:33), it’s not exactly
the kind of advice people hear every day. And while it
caused them to stop and think, those who truly heard Him
understood He wasn’t talking about holding on to our
physical life. The word Jesus used for “life” is the word
psyche, which is the Greek word for the soul. He was
referring to our inner life and clinging solely to our own
efforts and plans to secure it. In essence, Jesus was saying
that without Him, joy and meaning will slip through our
Self-reliance is a poor investment to hold on to because it never works out the
way we think it should. And it prevents us from discovering the life our souls crave
in a friendship with Jesus and living for His purposes (John 15:15).
What might you be hanging on to that you need to “sell” in order to find your
life in Him? —Jeff Olson
For My people have done two evil things:
They have abandoned Me—the fountain of
living water. And they have dug for themselves
cracked cisterns that can hold no water at all!
As we surrender all we have and are to Jesus,
what happens? How do we then view the stuff
of this world?
- Another Option - What wisdom from Scripture can help you in a dilemma?...read more
- He Will Handle It - What burden will you give to Him today?...read more
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more