VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
In a Word
Moses was very humble—more humble than any other person on earth (v.3, emphasis added).
This past week I’ve been working on a labor of love. My wife, Lynn, is reaching a significant birthday milestone, so I’ve decided to throw her a party. One game I came up with is “Lynn in a word.” The idea is for party attendees to think of a word that describes Lynn best and write it down on a note card. On the other side of the card, they’ll write their name. At the party, Lynn will draw the cards from a basket and then the individuals whose cards are selected will take a few moments to tell a Lynn anecdote and why they selected the word they did.
From Numbers 12, we see a word used to describe Moses: humble(v.3). His brother and sister, Aaron and Miriam, had felt that Moses was wrong in marrying “a Cushite woman” (v.1). (You gotta love siblings—always picking on their brothers or sisters.) But God shut down their criticism (v.8) as He affirmed that Moses was humble (by allowing v.3 to be written down), and by also saying, “He is the one I trust” (v.7). Wow. Imagine if God used the word trust as the best label for you!
Think of other people in the Bible. What word would you use to define Abraham? Jacob? Deborah? Ruth? David? Jeremiah? Mary? Peter?
What word would God use to describe you?
Our character is revealed throughout our lives—good times, bad times, and everything in-between. During Jesus’ final hours before His death, He said to His disciples, “I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you” (John 13:15). He said this after humbly washing their feet, living out humility.
What could be the best word God might use to describe you? Humble would be nice. But Christlike would be best!
Read John 13:34 and note a key character quality that Jesus lifted up for us.
How has your character been revealed this week? What will it take for you to become more Christlike?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more