Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
In a Word
Moses was very humble—more humble than any other person on earth (v.3, emphasis added).
This past week I’ve been working on a labor of love. My wife, Lynn, is reaching a significant birthday milestone, so I’ve decided to throw her a party. One game I came up with is “Lynn in a word.” The idea is for party attendees to think of a word that describes Lynn best and write it down on a note card. On the other side of the card, they’ll write their name. At the party, Lynn will draw the cards from a basket and then the individuals whose cards are selected will take a few moments to tell a Lynn anecdote and why they selected the word they did.
From Numbers 12, we see a word used to describe Moses: humble(v.3). His brother and sister, Aaron and Miriam, had felt that Moses was wrong in marrying “a Cushite woman” (v.1). (You gotta love siblings—always picking on their brothers or sisters.) But God shut down their criticism (v.8) as He affirmed that Moses was humble (by allowing v.3 to be written down), and by also saying, “He is the one I trust” (v.7). Wow. Imagine if God used the word trust as the best label for you!
Think of other people in the Bible. What word would you use to define Abraham? Jacob? Deborah? Ruth? David? Jeremiah? Mary? Peter?
What word would God use to describe you?
Our character is revealed throughout our lives—good times, bad times, and everything in-between. During Jesus’ final hours before His death, He said to His disciples, “I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you” (John 13:15). He said this after humbly washing their feet, living out humility.
What could be the best word God might use to describe you? Humble would be nice. But Christlike would be best!
Read John 13:34 and note a key character quality that Jesus lifted up for us.
How has your character been revealed this week? What will it take for you to become more Christlike?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more