Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
In a Word
Moses was very humble—more humble than any other person on earth (v.3, emphasis added).
This past week I’ve been working on a labor of love. My wife, Lynn, is reaching a significant birthday milestone, so I’ve decided to throw her a party. One game I came up with is “Lynn in a word.” The idea is for party attendees to think of a word that describes Lynn best and write it down on a note card. On the other side of the card, they’ll write their name. At the party, Lynn will draw the cards from a basket and then the individuals whose cards are selected will take a few moments to tell a Lynn anecdote and why they selected the word they did.
From Numbers 12, we see a word used to describe Moses: humble(v.3). His brother and sister, Aaron and Miriam, had felt that Moses was wrong in marrying “a Cushite woman” (v.1). (You gotta love siblings—always picking on their brothers or sisters.) But God shut down their criticism (v.8) as He affirmed that Moses was humble (by allowing v.3 to be written down), and by also saying, “He is the one I trust” (v.7). Wow. Imagine if God used the word trust as the best label for you!
Think of other people in the Bible. What word would you use to define Abraham? Jacob? Deborah? Ruth? David? Jeremiah? Mary? Peter?
What word would God use to describe you?
Our character is revealed throughout our lives—good times, bad times, and everything in-between. During Jesus’ final hours before His death, He said to His disciples, “I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you” (John 13:15). He said this after humbly washing their feet, living out humility.
What could be the best word God might use to describe you? Humble would be nice. But Christlike would be best!
Read John 13:34 and note a key character quality that Jesus lifted up for us.
How has your character been revealed this week? What will it take for you to become more Christlike?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more