The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
If you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? (v.11).
Johannes Gutenberg had an idea that would change the world, but he needed money to finance it. He contacted his neighbor, Johann Fust, who loaned him the cash to build his first printing press. Gutenberg initially made his loan payments by printing indulgences for the Catholic Church. The job paid well, but Gutenberg had higher hopes for his new machine. He wanted to print Bibles—magnificent books with Gothic letters that resembled a scribe’s meticulous style. But his 1,200-page Bibles took too long to produce and sell, and in 3 years he was bankrupt. Gutenberg handed his press over to Fust, who used it to publish a wide variety of books throughout Germany and France.
While he must have been annoyed to watch someone else make money from his invention, at least Gutenberg could be pleased with the way he went out. It may have been bad business to print Bibles rather than indulgences, but Gutenberg had no doubt which was more valuable (Luke 16:10). Ironically, the world agrees, for the same Bibles that once bankrupted Gutenberg are valued now at $30 million each.
Have you faced a Gutenberg decision? Tired of taking advantage of others, you chose to value the Word of God above all else, and you discovered there is a cost to following Christ (v.13). Perhaps you gave your best advice, even though it meant steering your customer to another shop. You charged your normal fee, rather than gouge a client who might pay more. You chose to marry your live-in fiancé, knowing that marriage would cut your government assistance in half.
Jesus said that your financial sacrifice is a down payment on everlasting wealth. Because you have been faithful in the “little things” of “worldly wealth,” you will be entrusted “with the true riches of heaven” (v.11). Now that’s a deal!
Read Ecclesiastes 5:10 to learn the problems that inevitably come with money.
When have you paid a price for following Jesus? Why is it important that our faith cost us something?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more