Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
If you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? (v.11).
Johannes Gutenberg had an idea that would change the world, but he needed money to finance it. He contacted his neighbor, Johann Fust, who loaned him the cash to build his first printing press. Gutenberg initially made his loan payments by printing indulgences for the Catholic Church. The job paid well, but Gutenberg had higher hopes for his new machine. He wanted to print Bibles—magnificent books with Gothic letters that resembled a scribe’s meticulous style. But his 1,200-page Bibles took too long to produce and sell, and in 3 years he was bankrupt. Gutenberg handed his press over to Fust, who used it to publish a wide variety of books throughout Germany and France.
While he must have been annoyed to watch someone else make money from his invention, at least Gutenberg could be pleased with the way he went out. It may have been bad business to print Bibles rather than indulgences, but Gutenberg had no doubt which was more valuable (Luke 16:10). Ironically, the world agrees, for the same Bibles that once bankrupted Gutenberg are valued now at $30 million each.
Have you faced a Gutenberg decision? Tired of taking advantage of others, you chose to value the Word of God above all else, and you discovered there is a cost to following Christ (v.13). Perhaps you gave your best advice, even though it meant steering your customer to another shop. You charged your normal fee, rather than gouge a client who might pay more. You chose to marry your live-in fiancé, knowing that marriage would cut your government assistance in half.
Jesus said that your financial sacrifice is a down payment on everlasting wealth. Because you have been faithful in the “little things” of “worldly wealth,” you will be entrusted “with the true riches of heaven” (v.11). Now that’s a deal!
Read Ecclesiastes 5:10 to learn the problems that inevitably come with money.
When have you paid a price for following Jesus? Why is it important that our faith cost us something?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more