Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
We've Got Answers
True wisdom and power are found in
God; counsel and understanding are His
While in college, I volunteered at a center that
provided emergency housing assistance.
One winter day, a distraught woman called
to complain about her negligent landlord. She couldn’t
stay in her rental home because of severe maintenance
problems. In a panic, she asked what she could do to
care for her children in the cold weather. I gave the
standard answer, which was to move into a hotel until
the problem was resolved. Under our state’s consumer
protection laws, she could bill the landlord. But she
angrily hung up on me, believing I had failed to take her
I may have known the textbook response to that
woman’s question, but I didn’t grasp her real need.
She needed someone to comprehend her fear and
desperation. She needed to feel she was not alone in her
dilemma. I had done nothing to address her heartfelt cry.
In the Bible, Job stands as a paragon of patience. He
too had a heartfelt cry. He had lost everything in a cosmic
game no human being could comprehend (see Job 1–2).
And he had friends with thoughtless textbook answers.
“Can you solve the mysteries of God?” asked his
friend Zophar, drunk on his own self-righteousness (11:7).
“If only you would prepare your heart and lift up your
hands to Him in prayer!” (v.13). Naturally, that only
elicited a bitter retort from Job. “You people really know
everything, don’t you? And when you die, wisdom will die with you!” (12:1).
We malign Job’s friends for their failure to see the big picture. But I’m no
different. I’m quick with answers to questions I’ve never faced.
“You’ve got questions, we’ve got answers,” says an advertising campaign. For
life’s big questions, people do want and need answers. Most of all, they want to
know someone truly cares. —Tim Gustafson
Read Job 12 to see some
of Job’s honest and angry
responses to his friends.
What was Job’s ultimate
conclusion? (see ch.42).
How have you been
comforted by someone
when you were hurting?
Do you feel that you have
the answers to everyone’s
questions? How might
this be misinterpreted by
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more