Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
You must warn each other every day, while it is still “today,” so that
none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God(v.13).
The film Dead Poets Society introduced me to an old
phrase from a Latin poem: carpe diem. It means
“seize the day,” an urgent call to live life to the
fullest, getting the most out of each and every day.
Generally speaking, it’s good advice, especially for
those of us who to tend to live passively and watch life
pass us by.
The writer of the New Testament book of Hebrews also
focused on the urgency of “today” (3:7-15). Drawing
on that tragic time in Israel’s history when its people fell
into decades of unbelief and rebellion in the wilderness,
he impressed upon his Christian readers a sense of the
urgent when it came to their walk with God. In light of
what happened to the Israelites in the Sinai desert, the
writer of Hebrews exhorted his readers to be careful not
to make the same mistake and to warn each other while
it is still “today” (v.13).
Like the Israelites, Christians can let sinful unbelief
linger in their hearts. Left unchecked, it will eventually
harden them toward God. While it’s still “today,” while
there’s still opportunity, that is, Christians can spot
unconstrained unbelief in themselves or others and do
the right thing. Genuinely concerned Christians can offer
others the kindness of their involvement and can present
loving, truthful feedback that will sound the alarm about
the perils of sin’s deceitfulness.
The writer of Hebrews is not encouraging Christians
to meddle. He is, however, encouraging us to first “listen” to what God’s Spirit
is telling us about any unbelief lying around in our own hearts (v.7). And he’s
calling us to be involved in each other’s lives so that we can caution a fellow
Christian whose heart is in danger of becoming hardened towards God.
Read Hebrews 10:24. Note how the author balances his call to warn
fellow Christians about the dangers of unbelief with a call to think actively
of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.
What unbelief in your heart do you need to present to God? If
necessary, how will you lovingly address the sin in
a friend’s life this week?
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more