LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
A recent TV special on one-hit wonders, pop music performers who had one hit and then disappeared, fascinated me. Old footage from their prime showed them to be arrogant, bold, conï¬dent, outrageous, and young!
Now, 20 to 30 years later, the TV crew caught up with many of them. Some had moved on with their lives, raising families and enjoying obscurity. But others did not age as gracefully. They looked old and worn-out as they continued to tour, clinging to a long-gone youth and a hollow dream. They equated fame with success, and their fame had proved blindingly ï¬‚eeting.
In the book of Job, we meet a man who thought his moment in the sun was behind him. His self-righteous friends were certain of that "fact." They wrongly accused Job of deserving his unspeakable loss and suffering. Amid their charges, Job prayed an earnest, anguished lament: "Oh, that my words could be recorded. Oh, that they could be inscribed on a monument, carved with an iron chisel and ï¬lled with lead, engraved forever in the rock" (19:23-24). Then, surprisingly, shockingly, his tone shifted from desperation to hope. Job found hope not in any legacy he could create, but in the permanence of God's promises.
"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and He will stand upon the earth at last," he said. "And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God!" (Job 19:25-26). Job expected to see God literally, not in this life but in the life to come. That's the genuine, certain hope of every follower of Jesus Christ.
Ironically, Job's plaintive prayer was answered. His words have been engraved for all of us in the Bible. Job wasn't looking for fame; he was looking for answers. And he found God to be enough. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more