Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
2 Samuel 22:1 The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
my God is my rock, in whom I find protection (vv.2-3).
Rhythm and blues artist Rihanna sang of the power
of friendship to pull us through cloudy weather in
her hit song Umbrella. “Now that it’s raining more
than ever,” she sings, “Know that we’ll still have each
other; You can stand under my umbrella.” An umbrella
is a memorable metaphor for our need to help each
other, but it also indicates how little we can actually do
for our friends.
An umbrella is flimsy—perfect for a summer shower
but useless in a driving rain or stiff wind. I’ll gladly hold
the umbrella for the loved ones in my life, but there will
be days when they’ll need so much more. When we
stagger against the pounding surf of betrayal, cancer,
and foreclosure, we don’t need a mere umbrella. We
need a rock.
David wrote a song when he was rescued from the
stormy pursuit of Saul. And though David’s chorus lacked
the catchy Caribbean rhythms of Rihanna, his content
was even more inspiring. He said he was drowning in
the sea of despair: “The waves of death overwhelmed
me; floods of destruction swept over me.” So “I called on
the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and He saved me from
my enemies” (2 Samuel 22:4-5).
Rihanna’s song makes an excellent point, but it also
illustrates the poverty of those who don’t know Jesus. She
sings, “I’ll be here forever. Said I’ll always be your friend.
. . . So go on, let the rain pour, I’ll be all you need and more.” Sure, Rihanna
means well, but she’s promising her friend more than she can deliver. The fact is
that she won’t be here forever. She can’t be “all you need.” No one can.
Thank God for the umbrellas in your life. Take them as His signs for what you
really need—a rock, a fortress, and a Savior.
Savor the promises of Psalms 46:1. How can this psalm help you to
survive—and thrive—in a crisis?
Who needs you to be their umbrella? Consider how you might also lead
them to the Rock.
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more