Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
2 Samuel 22:1 The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
my God is my rock, in whom I find protection (vv.2-3).
Rhythm and blues artist Rihanna sang of the power
of friendship to pull us through cloudy weather in
her hit song Umbrella. “Now that it’s raining more
than ever,” she sings, “Know that we’ll still have each
other; You can stand under my umbrella.” An umbrella
is a memorable metaphor for our need to help each
other, but it also indicates how little we can actually do
for our friends.
An umbrella is flimsy—perfect for a summer shower
but useless in a driving rain or stiff wind. I’ll gladly hold
the umbrella for the loved ones in my life, but there will
be days when they’ll need so much more. When we
stagger against the pounding surf of betrayal, cancer,
and foreclosure, we don’t need a mere umbrella. We
need a rock.
David wrote a song when he was rescued from the
stormy pursuit of Saul. And though David’s chorus lacked
the catchy Caribbean rhythms of Rihanna, his content
was even more inspiring. He said he was drowning in
the sea of despair: “The waves of death overwhelmed
me; floods of destruction swept over me.” So “I called on
the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and He saved me from
my enemies” (2 Samuel 22:4-5).
Rihanna’s song makes an excellent point, but it also
illustrates the poverty of those who don’t know Jesus. She
sings, “I’ll be here forever. Said I’ll always be your friend.
. . . So go on, let the rain pour, I’ll be all you need and more.” Sure, Rihanna
means well, but she’s promising her friend more than she can deliver. The fact is
that she won’t be here forever. She can’t be “all you need.” No one can.
Thank God for the umbrellas in your life. Take them as His signs for what you
really need—a rock, a fortress, and a Savior.
Savor the promises of Psalms 46:1. How can this psalm help you to
survive—and thrive—in a crisis?
Who needs you to be their umbrella? Consider how you might also lead
them to the Rock.
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more