Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
All Things New
And the One sitting on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new!” (v.5).
Russian scientists recently discovered plant matter in the burrow of an Ice Age squirrel—stuff that had been frozen for thousands of years. They took the material to their laboratory, where they successfully regenerated a thriving Silene stenophylla plant. The scientists will continue to dig through the Siberian permafrost in hopes of finding frozen matter from other plants and animals. They would love to uncover tissue from a wooly mammoth, which they think they could parlay into a living version of the real thing, à la Jurassic Park.
What these scientists did for one plant, however, Jesus will do for the entire planet. Peter declares that one day the Lord will return to “set the heavens on fire, and the elements will melt away in the flames” (2 Peter 2:12). But from this stricken world, shaken down to its foundation, Jesus will create “the new heavens and new earth He has promised, a world filled with God’s righteousness” (v.13).
When Jesus returns, He will make “everything new” (Revelation 21:5). Notice that Jesus will not make “new everything.” He will not brush this world aside and replace it with something else. Rather he will take everything that is already here and make it new.
What Jesus will do for the world He will also do for you. You may bear the scars of having been a sinner living in a broken world—staggering beneath the burden of deep wounds (some self-inflicted and some dealt by others)—but you belong to the “everything” that Jesus will make new. You will rise again, much like a Silene stenophylla that had been buried for thousands of years, and then “He will wipe every tear from [your] eyes” (v.4).
If you put your trust in Jesus, this promise is for you. Lean on Him, and lean into the newness of your future.
Read 1 Corinthians 15:51 to learn how your future should inspire you to live right now.
What excites you most about being made new? How might you anticipate this coming change in your life today?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more