Top Christian Music Videos
I am Yahweh—“the Lord.” . . . [I am] El-Shaddai—“God Almighty” (vv.2-3).
El Shaddai,a worship song written by Michael Card and John Thompson, features many Hebrew words in its lyrics. It won “Song of the Year” and Michael Card won “Songwriter of the Year” at the 1983 Gospel Music Association Dove Awards. The title of the song came from Genesis 17:1 and Exodus 6:3.
Refusing to free the Jews, the Pharaoh of Egypt challenged, “Who is the Lord?” (5:1-2). God responded, revealed, and reaffirmed His covenant identity: “I am Yahweh—‘the Lord.’ I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty’ ” (6:2-3).
The four affirmations of God’s proper name, “YHWH”— transliterated “Yahweh” and rendered as “I am the Lord” (vv.2,6,7-8)—underscore His absolute sovereignty and authority. The seven “I will” statements affirm His faithful resolve to carry out His redemption plan: “I will free you . . . and will rescue you from your slavery. . . . I will redeem you . . . . I will claim you as My own people, and I will be your God. . . . I will bring you into the land . . . . I will give it to you as your very own possession” (vv.6-8).
Revealing Himself as “El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty’ ” (v.3), He wants us to know that He is the preexistent and self-existent, self-sufficient and all-sufficient, all-powerful and all-bountiful YHWH! He wants us to know Him as our Deliverer (v.7).
The chorus of El-Shaddai states: “El-Shaddai, El-Shaddai (God Almighty), El-Elyon na Adonai (God Most High). Age to age You’re still the same, by the power of the name. El-Shaddai, El-Shaddai, erkamka na Adonai. I will praise You till I die. El-Shaddai.”
Erkamka na Adonai(based on the Hebrew words of Psalms 18:1) is our rightful response: It means, “I love you, Lord.”
Read Genesis 17:1 to see how God reveals Himself as “El-Shaddai.” What do these passages teach you about God?
The Jews didn’t believe God was El-Shaddai because “they had become too discouraged by their slavery” (Exodus 6:9). How does life’s pain cause us to doubt God’s power and goodness? How should we respond to God?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more