Why Pray?What do you need to ask God for today?
Top Christian Music Videos
I am Yahweh—“the Lord.” . . . [I am] El-Shaddai—“God Almighty” (vv.2-3).
El Shaddai,a worship song written by Michael Card and John Thompson, features many Hebrew words in its lyrics. It won “Song of the Year” and Michael Card won “Songwriter of the Year” at the 1983 Gospel Music Association Dove Awards. The title of the song came from Genesis 17:1 and Exodus 6:3.
Refusing to free the Jews, the Pharaoh of Egypt challenged, “Who is the Lord?” (5:1-2). God responded, revealed, and reaffirmed His covenant identity: “I am Yahweh—‘the Lord.’ I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty’ ” (6:2-3).
The four affirmations of God’s proper name, “YHWH”— transliterated “Yahweh” and rendered as “I am the Lord” (vv.2,6,7-8)—underscore His absolute sovereignty and authority. The seven “I will” statements affirm His faithful resolve to carry out His redemption plan: “I will free you . . . and will rescue you from your slavery. . . . I will redeem you . . . . I will claim you as My own people, and I will be your God. . . . I will bring you into the land . . . . I will give it to you as your very own possession” (vv.6-8).
Revealing Himself as “El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty’ ” (v.3), He wants us to know that He is the preexistent and self-existent, self-sufficient and all-sufficient, all-powerful and all-bountiful YHWH! He wants us to know Him as our Deliverer (v.7).
The chorus of El-Shaddai states: “El-Shaddai, El-Shaddai (God Almighty), El-Elyon na Adonai (God Most High). Age to age You’re still the same, by the power of the name. El-Shaddai, El-Shaddai, erkamka na Adonai. I will praise You till I die. El-Shaddai.”
Erkamka na Adonai(based on the Hebrew words of Psalms 18:1) is our rightful response: It means, “I love you, Lord.”
Read Genesis 17:1 to see how God reveals Himself as “El-Shaddai.” What do these passages teach you about God?
The Jews didn’t believe God was El-Shaddai because “they had become too discouraged by their slavery” (Exodus 6:9). How does life’s pain cause us to doubt God’s power and goodness? How should we respond to God?
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more
- What Is God? - Write down three things the Bible tells you about God....read more