Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
Origin of the Species
Just ask the animals, and they will teach you. Ask the birds of the sky, and they will tell you. . . . Let the fish in the sea speak to you (Job 12:7).
A previously unknown monkey species, the Caqueta titi monkey, was discovered deep in the Amazon jungle in August 2009. A month earlier, two newly identified species of fish were found in the area affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Taxonomists today are discovering new species of animals, birds, and fish all the time—some 18,516 new species were discovered in 2007 alone. On average, 50 new species are discovered each day. Quentin Wheeler, of the International Institute of Species Exploration at Arizona State University, said, “Most people do not realize just how incomplete our knowledge of Earth’s species is.”
Just how many species of living things are there in this world? Scientists haven’t been able to determine that number. Estimates range from 2 to 100 million, of which only 1.5 to 1.8 million species have been named. According to one report, there are 5,500 species of mammals; 6,500 species of amphibians; 9,000 species of reptiles; 10,000 species of birds; 31,300 species of fish; 103,000 species of arachnids; 373,000 species of plants, fungi, and protists; and 1,000,000 species of insects.
These mind-boggling figures highlight the indeterminable variety and complexity of life on earth, and clearly attest to the ingenuity, originality, creativity, and power needed to speak all the natural diversity into existence. “God said, ‘Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky. . . . Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds.’ And it was so” (Genesis 1:20 NIV).
Celebrating God and His creation, the psalmist said, “O Lord, what a variety of things you have made! In wisdom You have made them all. The earth is full of your creatures” (Psalms 104:24).
Read Psalms 104:1. How does it help you to celebrate the Creator and His creation?
Do you believe that all life on earth—millions of species, including humans—is the product of evolution or evolutionary processes or that God created it? Why?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more