Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
1 Chronicles 11:10-19
So the Three broke through the Philistine
lines, drew some water from the well . . . and
brought it back to David. But David . . . poured it
out as an offering to the Lord (v.18).
In his book Faith at the Edge, philosopher Robert
Wennberg describes attending a small church
with his students as they traveled through Europe.
The students were not greeted warmly by the church
members, did not know enough of the language
to follow the songs or the sermon, and generally
considered their Sunday morning to be a complete
waste of time. Wennberg assured them that it wasn’t, for
the effort they made to worship with fellow believers was
an act of respect toward God.
Wennberg quoted Pascal: “Respect means; put
yourself out. . . . It amounts to saying: I should certainly
put myself out if you needed it, because I do so when
you do not; besides, respect serves to distinguish the
great. If respect meant sitting in an armchair we should
be showing everyone respect and then there would
be no way of marking distinction, but we make the
distinction quite clear by putting ourselves out.”
We respect others when we put ourselves out for them.
It may be something small, such as standing to our feet
when they enter the room, saluting or tipping our hat, or
kneeling in front of their wheelchair. It might be huge,
as when David’s elite warriors crept behind enemy lines
to bring him water from Bethlehem, or when David—
overcome by the magnitude of their devotion—poured out
the water as a drink offering to the Lord (1 Chr. 11:17-19).
We respect God when we put ourselves out for Him. We all experience dry
spells when the Bible seems irrelevant, our prayers don’t seem to matter, and
we’d rather sleep in than go to church. These down times are opportunities to
express our allegiance and devotion to God. If we continue to put ourselves out,
even when we don’t feel any benefit, we pay God the highest respect.
Read 2 Corinthians 8:1-9
to see how God showed
respect to us, and how
we might show respect to
God and to each other.
What has God done to
show that He respects
you? Think of some
people who would
benefit from your respect.
How might you go above
and beyond the norm to
sacrifice for them?
Live To Worship
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more