Top Music Videos
Let us not neglect our meeting together (v.25).
Nancy Johnson went for a walk and discovered a little library in a neighbor’s yard. It’s estimated that there are now between 300 to 400 small libraries lodged in people’s lawns around the world. Each has a take-a-book/leave-a-book policy. Nancy commented, “I like the sense of community.”
Many of us are looking for a way to connect with people who share our interests. As Christians, we have the opportunity to rub elbows with like-minded people at church. The Bible challenges us: “Let us not neglect our meeting together” (Hebrews 10:25), so that we can encourage each other. Phone calls and text messages, are okay—but there’s nothing quite like a face-to-face (and heart-to-heart) conversation when we’re lonely, grieving, or feeling misunderstood.
Even if we’re not going through a difficult time, studying the Bible together allows us to build a common understanding of God’s Word. It helps us come to conclusions based in sound theology. The ancient Israelite priests saw the importance of this during a time when the Book of the Law of Moses had been neglected. “They read from [God’s Word] and clearly explained the meaning . . . helping the people to understand each passage” (Nehemiah 8:8).
Many churches explain the Bible’s text through preaching after a time of group praise and singing. Worshiping God with other believers reminds us of our common purpose—to glorify God (v.6). It creates a sense of unity, which honors God (John 17:23).
Mingling with fellow Christ-followers is a great reason to attend weekly services. But even better is the fact that we can connect with Jesus too. (Matthew 18:20).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What kinds of heart issues might prevent a person from attending church? Do any of these apply to you? What’s your happiest memory associated with a church service?
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more