Top Christian Music Videos
1 Corinthians 13:4
[Love] keeps no record of being wronged (v.5).
I don’t know what else I can do!” my exasperated
friend sulked. “I set high standards for my kids and
hold them accountable for their actions, and all they
do is hate me. What did I do to deserve this?” He noted
how he has always been “hard” (his word) on his son
so that he would do great things. Hmm. Is this about the
ingratitude of the kids? Or the rules-based, inflexible
view of love held by the father?
In the beginning, there was a perfect Father who didn’t
have many rules. Just one, actually. He gave His children
a stunningly gorgeous garden in which to live and work.
He enjoyed their company. They had everything they
could ever need, including a perfect mate. (Only Adam
and Eve could say that.) He gave them one solitary
prohibition. “You may freely eat the fruit of every tree
in the garden,” He told Adam, “except the tree of the
knowledge of good and evil. If you eat its fruit, you are
sure to die” (Genesis 2:16-17). You know the rest of the
story. Adam and Eve, it seems, were just like us . . .
God, being the perfect Father, didn’t let His kids off the
hook. There were consequences for their bad behavior.
But He didn’t leave them there either. Even on that sad
day, He set in motion a plan to buy us back from sin’s
curse with the sacrifice of His perfect Son Jesus.
In this world, imperfect parents struggle to raise
imperfect children who grow up to accept or ignore their
advice and correction. We do well to remember a lesson God taught us long
ago: Perfect love doesn’t require love in return (1 Corinthians 13:5).
A love that we demand from others is no love at all—it’s simply extortion.
What expectations are embodied by the love described in
1 Corinthians 13:4?
What kind of love do you extend to others? How do the people in
your life love you in ways that remind you of God’s love? Why is it important
that God’s love for you isn’t based on what you do?
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more
- A Better Song - Read Romans 8:14 to see what it means to be led by “the Spirit of God.”...read more