Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Pray for Them
In keeping with Your magnificent, unfailing love, please pardon the sins of this people, just as You have forgiven them ever since they left Egypt (v.19).
In his book Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer states: “A Christian fellowship lives and exists by the intercession of its members for one another, or it collapses. I can no longer condemn or hate a brother for whom I pray, no matter how much trouble he causes me. His face, that hitherto may have been strange and intolerable to me, is transformed in intercession into the countenance of a brother for whom Christ died, the face of a forgiven sinner.”
The people of Israel had become intolerable to God because they were faithless and had begun to treat Him with contempt (Numbers 14:11). Moses loved his people, however, and it was out of that love that he powerfully and compassionately interceded for them (v.13). He saw them not simply as chronic grumblers and complainers, but as people in need of God’s mercy.
So, out of his love for them and based on the character of God, Moses pleaded with God to pardon his people. Moses reasoned that if God didn’t forgive, but destroyed Israel, then the Egyptians and other nations would mock His perceived powerlessness. Moses appealed to God’s loyal love to pardon His people’s sin because He loved them (v.18). God honored Moses’ prayer and forgave their sins.
As followers of Jesus, our relationships with one another thrive when we pray for one another, but they wilt when we fail to do so. No matter how much trouble my sisters-in-Christ cause me, how much complaining my brothers-in-Christ do, or how strange they seem, they’re fellow believers for whom Christ has died. I must stand before God on their behalf.
To love one another is to pray for one another. May the love we have for our brothers and sisters be expressed in powerful intercession for their emotional, physical, and spiritual needs!
Read Deuteronomy 9:18 to see another time Moses interceded for God’s people, and note God’s response to his plea.
To which difficult brother or sister do you need to express your love this week through powerful and passionate intercession? Why is it vital that we pray for one another?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more