Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Pray for Them
In keeping with Your magnificent, unfailing love, please pardon the sins of this people, just as You have forgiven them ever since they left Egypt (v.19).
In his book Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer states: “A Christian fellowship lives and exists by the intercession of its members for one another, or it collapses. I can no longer condemn or hate a brother for whom I pray, no matter how much trouble he causes me. His face, that hitherto may have been strange and intolerable to me, is transformed in intercession into the countenance of a brother for whom Christ died, the face of a forgiven sinner.”
The people of Israel had become intolerable to God because they were faithless and had begun to treat Him with contempt (Numbers 14:11). Moses loved his people, however, and it was out of that love that he powerfully and compassionately interceded for them (v.13). He saw them not simply as chronic grumblers and complainers, but as people in need of God’s mercy.
So, out of his love for them and based on the character of God, Moses pleaded with God to pardon his people. Moses reasoned that if God didn’t forgive, but destroyed Israel, then the Egyptians and other nations would mock His perceived powerlessness. Moses appealed to God’s loyal love to pardon His people’s sin because He loved them (v.18). God honored Moses’ prayer and forgave their sins.
As followers of Jesus, our relationships with one another thrive when we pray for one another, but they wilt when we fail to do so. No matter how much trouble my sisters-in-Christ cause me, how much complaining my brothers-in-Christ do, or how strange they seem, they’re fellow believers for whom Christ has died. I must stand before God on their behalf.
To love one another is to pray for one another. May the love we have for our brothers and sisters be expressed in powerful intercession for their emotional, physical, and spiritual needs!
Read Deuteronomy 9:18 to see another time Moses interceded for God’s people, and note God’s response to his plea.
To which difficult brother or sister do you need to express your love this week through powerful and passionate intercession? Why is it vital that we pray for one another?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more