Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Justice and Faith
Ziba has slandered me by saying that I refused to come. But I know that my lord the king is like an angel of God, so do what you think is best (19:27).
As a friend and I watched our children play in the pool, I had no idea that I would soon be swimming in my capris. But when I saw our kids struggling to stay above the water, I jumped in. My instinct to separate the boys and help my friend’s child may have seemed strange at first, and even a cold response to my own son. I knew, however, that Micah had been underwater only because he had tried to keep his friend—a nonswimmer—afloat. Sure enough, once separated, Micah swam safely to the side of the pool.
In a moment of crisis, it’s natural to offer advocacy to those we love. Sometimes our focus can also be drawn by those who profess fidelity and offer words that seem to be to our benefit. In walking through uncertain times, however, loyalty should not override justice.
Shame covered David as he fled Jerusalem. He had been forced out of his kingdom by his own son. Because he was vulnerable from Absalom’s betrayal, he readily received the praise of Ziba—who seemed to have his best interests in mind (2 Samuel 2:4). David responded to what seemed to provide the most security for himself. The momentary affirmation, however, robbed Mephibosheth of the protection he had been promised (1 Samuel 1:42).
Unable to walk on his own, Mephibosheth suffered a double injustice: betrayal from Ziba—his own servant (2 Samuel 19:26), and unjust treatment by David—a man who had been considered both a family member and his king. Exchanging the wrong for loyalty, however, Mephibosheth showed that he valued a restored relationship more than the recompense of property (vv.29-30). Perhaps he knew that justice and faith go hand in hand, for justice requires that we see things as God does.
How is our choice for loyalty over justice a dependency on man rather than God? How can we make sure that our decisions to help others are truly selfless?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more