Representing JesusIn what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?
Top Music Videos
Justice and Faith
Ziba has slandered me by saying that I refused to come. But I know that my lord the king is like an angel of God, so do what you think is best (19:27).
As a friend and I watched our children play in the pool, I had no idea that I would soon be swimming in my capris. But when I saw our kids struggling to stay above the water, I jumped in. My instinct to separate the boys and help my friend’s child may have seemed strange at first, and even a cold response to my own son. I knew, however, that Micah had been underwater only because he had tried to keep his friend—a nonswimmer—afloat. Sure enough, once separated, Micah swam safely to the side of the pool.
In a moment of crisis, it’s natural to offer advocacy to those we love. Sometimes our focus can also be drawn by those who profess fidelity and offer words that seem to be to our benefit. In walking through uncertain times, however, loyalty should not override justice.
Shame covered David as he fled Jerusalem. He had been forced out of his kingdom by his own son. Because he was vulnerable from Absalom’s betrayal, he readily received the praise of Ziba—who seemed to have his best interests in mind (2 Samuel 2:4). David responded to what seemed to provide the most security for himself. The momentary affirmation, however, robbed Mephibosheth of the protection he had been promised (1 Samuel 1:42).
Unable to walk on his own, Mephibosheth suffered a double injustice: betrayal from Ziba—his own servant (2 Samuel 19:26), and unjust treatment by David—a man who had been considered both a family member and his king. Exchanging the wrong for loyalty, however, Mephibosheth showed that he valued a restored relationship more than the recompense of property (vv.29-30). Perhaps he knew that justice and faith go hand in hand, for justice requires that we see things as God does.
How is our choice for loyalty over justice a dependency on man rather than God? How can we make sure that our decisions to help others are truly selfless?
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more