Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Justice and Faith
Ziba has slandered me by saying that I refused to come. But I know that my lord the king is like an angel of God, so do what you think is best (19:27).
As a friend and I watched our children play in the pool, I had no idea that I would soon be swimming in my capris. But when I saw our kids struggling to stay above the water, I jumped in. My instinct to separate the boys and help my friend’s child may have seemed strange at first, and even a cold response to my own son. I knew, however, that Micah had been underwater only because he had tried to keep his friend—a nonswimmer—afloat. Sure enough, once separated, Micah swam safely to the side of the pool.
In a moment of crisis, it’s natural to offer advocacy to those we love. Sometimes our focus can also be drawn by those who profess fidelity and offer words that seem to be to our benefit. In walking through uncertain times, however, loyalty should not override justice.
Shame covered David as he fled Jerusalem. He had been forced out of his kingdom by his own son. Because he was vulnerable from Absalom’s betrayal, he readily received the praise of Ziba—who seemed to have his best interests in mind (2 Samuel 2:4). David responded to what seemed to provide the most security for himself. The momentary affirmation, however, robbed Mephibosheth of the protection he had been promised (1 Samuel 1:42).
Unable to walk on his own, Mephibosheth suffered a double injustice: betrayal from Ziba—his own servant (2 Samuel 19:26), and unjust treatment by David—a man who had been considered both a family member and his king. Exchanging the wrong for loyalty, however, Mephibosheth showed that he valued a restored relationship more than the recompense of property (vv.29-30). Perhaps he knew that justice and faith go hand in hand, for justice requires that we see things as God does.
How is our choice for loyalty over justice a dependency on man rather than God? How can we make sure that our decisions to help others are truly selfless?
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more