Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
Taking the Wheel
The time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them (v.2).
Last spring, Jeremy Wuitschick was riding on his school bus with 11 other middle-school students when the bus driver passed out. Wuitschick sprang from his seat and ran up and took the wheel from the unconscious driver. He then steered the bus away from traffic and turned the ignition off. The bus rolled to a stop. Jeremy had saved the day!
When God called Joshua to fill the big sandals left by Moses, the “apprentice” also had a quick decision to make. “The Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, ‘Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people’ ” (Joshua 1:1). God made it perfectly clear, adding, “You are the one who will lead these people” (v.6).
Much like Jeremy Wuitschick, Joshua sprang into action. He gave God’s message—prepare to cross over to the Promised Land!—to the “officers of Israel” (v.10) and then “the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh” (v.12). Not only did he show excellent leadership skills by targeting the two groups—leaders first, and then all the people—but he also told the people to remember what Moses, the respected leader he replaced, had said. This showed true wisdom and humility. So how did the people respond? “We will obey you just as we obeyed Moses,” they said (v.16). Joshua had won their hearts as he followed hard after God’s commands (v.9).
There are times in life when God will call you to lead. Whether it’s a new job or role or responsibility—be ready to follow His call. Prepare today by continuing to grow in your knowledge of God’s Word (v.8) and by following the godly example of good leaders God has placed in your life (v.7). Then take the wheel when the time comes.
Read Galatians 6:9 and note what Paul states we should do now so that future blessings can be realized.
What can you do today to become a better future leader for Jesus? What was required of certain leaders in the Bible as they responded to God’s call?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more