After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Taking the Wheel
The time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them (v.2).
Last spring, Jeremy Wuitschick was riding on his school bus with 11 other middle-school students when the bus driver passed out. Wuitschick sprang from his seat and ran up and took the wheel from the unconscious driver. He then steered the bus away from traffic and turned the ignition off. The bus rolled to a stop. Jeremy had saved the day!
When God called Joshua to fill the big sandals left by Moses, the “apprentice” also had a quick decision to make. “The Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, ‘Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people’ ” (Joshua 1:1). God made it perfectly clear, adding, “You are the one who will lead these people” (v.6).
Much like Jeremy Wuitschick, Joshua sprang into action. He gave God’s message—prepare to cross over to the Promised Land!—to the “officers of Israel” (v.10) and then “the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh” (v.12). Not only did he show excellent leadership skills by targeting the two groups—leaders first, and then all the people—but he also told the people to remember what Moses, the respected leader he replaced, had said. This showed true wisdom and humility. So how did the people respond? “We will obey you just as we obeyed Moses,” they said (v.16). Joshua had won their hearts as he followed hard after God’s commands (v.9).
There are times in life when God will call you to lead. Whether it’s a new job or role or responsibility—be ready to follow His call. Prepare today by continuing to grow in your knowledge of God’s Word (v.8) and by following the godly example of good leaders God has placed in your life (v.7). Then take the wheel when the time comes.
Read Galatians 6:9 and note what Paul states we should do now so that future blessings can be realized.
What can you do today to become a better future leader for Jesus? What was required of certain leaders in the Bible as they responded to God’s call?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more