Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Taking the Wheel
The time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them (v.2).
Last spring, Jeremy Wuitschick was riding on his school bus with 11 other middle-school students when the bus driver passed out. Wuitschick sprang from his seat and ran up and took the wheel from the unconscious driver. He then steered the bus away from traffic and turned the ignition off. The bus rolled to a stop. Jeremy had saved the day!
When God called Joshua to fill the big sandals left by Moses, the “apprentice” also had a quick decision to make. “The Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, ‘Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people’ ” (Joshua 1:1). God made it perfectly clear, adding, “You are the one who will lead these people” (v.6).
Much like Jeremy Wuitschick, Joshua sprang into action. He gave God’s message—prepare to cross over to the Promised Land!—to the “officers of Israel” (v.10) and then “the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh” (v.12). Not only did he show excellent leadership skills by targeting the two groups—leaders first, and then all the people—but he also told the people to remember what Moses, the respected leader he replaced, had said. This showed true wisdom and humility. So how did the people respond? “We will obey you just as we obeyed Moses,” they said (v.16). Joshua had won their hearts as he followed hard after God’s commands (v.9).
There are times in life when God will call you to lead. Whether it’s a new job or role or responsibility—be ready to follow His call. Prepare today by continuing to grow in your knowledge of God’s Word (v.8) and by following the godly example of good leaders God has placed in your life (v.7). Then take the wheel when the time comes.
Read Galatians 6:9 and note what Paul states we should do now so that future blessings can be realized.
What can you do today to become a better future leader for Jesus? What was required of certain leaders in the Bible as they responded to God’s call?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more