The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Samuel 1:1
Don’t think I am a wicked woman! For I have been praying out
of great anguish and sorrow (v.16).
Sometimes life holds moments—and even needs—
too deep for words. Not all silence comes from
a desire to hide or pretend we’ve got life together.
The reasons may be varied: Perhaps we feel the need
to keep a rightful confidence or find that speaking puts
another’s reputation at unnecessary risk. Other times,
we fail to find sufficient wording to express the longing
of our heart. Whatever the reason, from such a trial we
learn that some places cannot be reached by human
voice until we’ve surrendered to the divine.
Hannah knew such a place (1 Samuel 1:2). Unable to
relate to her maternal longings, Elkanah couldn’t offer
words to soothe her heartache, and Peninnah only cared to
gain a more sizeable target for her barbed comments. No
one understood—not even the priest who was appointed to
go before the throne of God on her behalf (v.14).
Silent before others, Hannah knelt before God in deep
sadness as she wrestled with the unanswered questions
of why the God who created the entire universe had
not yet given her a single child (vv. 5-6). In loving
compassion, God answered.
Hannah’s hope in God, however, came long before the
moment of Samuel’s conception. For in faith she vowed
to dedicate her son to God if He chose to give her one
(v.11). And when she was assured by Eli that God would
grant her request, she believed (v.18).
Jesus had to drink of the bitter cup of sorrow (Luke 22:41-44). Though His
anguish was infinitely greater than what Hannah experienced or what we might
endure, He can identify with us in our pain and grief.
Able to bring life from barrenness, the God who heard Hannah’s cries is the
same God today. Rest in His presence even as you acknowledge His sovereign
Read Psalms 20:1 and consider what God’s presence means to us
during difficult times.
How can living in a world of constant communication make us
feel even more lonely in times of silence? How can we know when
we need to share our struggles with others and when we need to speak
them only to the Lord?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more