Representing JesusIn what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?
Top Music Videos
O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? (v.1).
Last year we watched with sorrow and concern as an
earthquake, tsunami, and ensuing nuclear disaster
rocked Japan. MSNBC captured a particularly
heart-wrenching photograph of 4-year-old Manami Kon
having the sad occasion to practice her recently learned
ability to write. Manami slowly penned a letter to her
mom who had been missing since the quake: “Dear
Mommy, I hope you’re alive. Are you okay?” It took her
about an hour to write the short letter.
In her own, childlike way, Manami was practicing an
old art: lament. To lament is to “express grief or doubt
or rage.” It’s an expression of the turmoil in our heart.
The Psalms model lament for us, providing some of the
rawest words a human could pen. In biblical terms,
a lament is a protest lodged against God, and this is
the scandal of the Psalms—they’re not words shared
human to human, but human to God. “O Lord,” begins
the psalmist, making plain whom he’s addressing (13:1).
Midway through the song, the psalmist reiterates, “Turn
and answer me, O Lord” (v.3).
Lament is the bare acknowledgment that things aren’t
right in this world, and that we shouldn’t pretend they
are. Lament is the belief that God doesn’t want us to lie,
especially to Him.
Lament not only acknowledges what is wrong,
however; it also remembers that God will ultimately
make what is wrong right. While lament is a protest lodged against God, it’s
offered to Him because He’s the One who truly cares about the injustice and the
pain and the destruction. Lament affirms that our hope, in the end, will not be
thwarted. God will act on our behalf.
“I trust in Your unfailing love,” concludes the psalmist. “I will rejoice because
You have rescued me” (v.5).
Pray another psalm of lament, such as Psalms 22:1. What are the expressions
of protest? And what are the expressions of faith and hope?
What in your life is worthy of lament? What does it mean to consider
offering this lament honestly to God without holding anything back?
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more