Love in ActionHow can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?
Top Christian Music Videos
O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? (v.1).
Last year we watched with sorrow and concern as an
earthquake, tsunami, and ensuing nuclear disaster
rocked Japan. MSNBC captured a particularly
heart-wrenching photograph of 4-year-old Manami Kon
having the sad occasion to practice her recently learned
ability to write. Manami slowly penned a letter to her
mom who had been missing since the quake: “Dear
Mommy, I hope you’re alive. Are you okay?” It took her
about an hour to write the short letter.
In her own, childlike way, Manami was practicing an
old art: lament. To lament is to “express grief or doubt
or rage.” It’s an expression of the turmoil in our heart.
The Psalms model lament for us, providing some of the
rawest words a human could pen. In biblical terms,
a lament is a protest lodged against God, and this is
the scandal of the Psalms—they’re not words shared
human to human, but human to God. “O Lord,” begins
the psalmist, making plain whom he’s addressing (13:1).
Midway through the song, the psalmist reiterates, “Turn
and answer me, O Lord” (v.3).
Lament is the bare acknowledgment that things aren’t
right in this world, and that we shouldn’t pretend they
are. Lament is the belief that God doesn’t want us to lie,
especially to Him.
Lament not only acknowledges what is wrong,
however; it also remembers that God will ultimately
make what is wrong right. While lament is a protest lodged against God, it’s
offered to Him because He’s the One who truly cares about the injustice and the
pain and the destruction. Lament affirms that our hope, in the end, will not be
thwarted. God will act on our behalf.
“I trust in Your unfailing love,” concludes the psalmist. “I will rejoice because
You have rescued me” (v.5).
Pray another psalm of lament, such as Psalms 22:1. What are the expressions
of protest? And what are the expressions of faith and hope?
What in your life is worthy of lament? What does it mean to consider
offering this lament honestly to God without holding anything back?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more