Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Pearls to Pigs
Don’t waste what is holy on people who are unholy. Don’t throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you (v.6).
I have always been perplexed by today’s reading in Matthew 7. What are these “pearls” being spoken of and who are the “pigs” we’re not to throw them to?
One suggestion is that the pearl is the kingdom of God (see 13:45), and so a common explanation of this verse goes like this: There’s a beastly group of people for whom the gospel is not to be shared. They will only trample on our good news and, by doing so, cheapen it.
This explanation has never sat well with me. First, Jesus isn’t teaching the apostles whom to preach to (He’ll do that in Matthew 10). He’s talking to the “crowds” about living in the kingdom (4:23–5:1, 7:24-29). How would this phrase help them do that? Second, Jesus has already taught that God is gracious to the unrighteous (5:43-48), and all of us are “unholy,” yet God still offered the gospel to us. Third, Jesus said these words after teaching us not to condemn people (7:1-5). What do His words mean in this relational context?
I think Jesus is talking about correction here. Followers of Jesus will have disagreements with others. We’re not to condemn people (vv.1-2), or be blind to our own faults (vv.3-4), but we’re to bring humble correction when needed (v.5). But Jesus is realistic. There will be some who will not listen to any correction—even when the words are from God Himself. As Matthew 7:1 says, such people will repay correction with abuse. They will tear us to pieces (v.6). Beware of them.
As I write this devo, I’m dealing with a difficult commenter on my blogsite. This person has been writing inflammatory statements that I have tried repeatedly (and patiently) to correct. But to no avail—the harsh words continue. It may now be time for me to stop replying.
How should you respond to people who only want to argue? How will you love such people, while putting boundaries around their abusive ways?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more