Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Recently, I read an article about a 38-year-old guy who offered his wife for sale. I wondered, what would drive a man to sell his spouse to the highest bidder? Then, I read his advertisement: "Nagging wife. No tax, very high maintenance, some rust."
That's when it clicked; it must have been the nagging. No marriage is perfect, but our communication patterns have a lot to do with the level of harmony in our homes. While some of us nag, other sinful speech habits include lying, harshness, or even sarcasm.
David's wife, Michal, had a thing for sarcasm. When Michal saw David dancing before the Lord as the Ark was being brought back to Jersualem, "she was ï¬lled with contempt for him" (2 Samuel 16:16). She sneered, "How distinguished the king of Israel looked today" (v.20), when she really meant, You looked like a total goofball! Sarcasm hurts the ones we love twice, once with the original insult, and again with the sting of our delivery.
If Michal's cutting communication wasn't enough, this drama queen accused David of dancing to impress the servant girls. Her venomous lie proved that "harsh words make tempers ï¬‚are" (Proverbs 15:1), and it caused David to retort, "I was dancing before the Lord. . . . Those servant girls you mentioned will indeed think I am distinguished!" (2 Samuel 6:21-22). Like David, our spouses will move into defense mode and possibly even seek afï¬rmation elsewhere if we continually ï¬‚ing false accusations their way.
Our words have the power to hearten our partners or discourage them. May everything we say "be good and helpful, so that [our] words will be an encouragement to those who hear them" (Ephesians 4:29). , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more