WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Each family had just
what it needed (v.18).
The residents of Lajamanu, a remote Australian
town, received a fishy gift last summer. Hundreds
of small spangled perch dropped from the sky!
Meteorologists believe the fish were sucked up into the
clouds by a storm. “It could have scooped the fish up to
40,000 to 50,000 feet in the air. Once they get up into
the system they [were] pretty much frozen. After some
period they [were] released,” said a weather expert.
Surprisingly, Lajamanu has been bombarded by flying
(frozen) fish twice before—in 1974 and 2004.
A month after being miraculously delivered from
Egypt, the Israelites were looking for a nice, fresh fish
dinner—or something fresh to eat (Exodus 16:1-3). The
wilderness didn’t allow for much, shall we say, delicious
cuisine. God knew what His people needed, and He
told Moses that He would “rain down food from heaven”
(v.4). And that’s just what He did!
God provided His complaining people with bread in
the morning and meat in the evening (v.12). But, instead
of fish, God gave them “vast numbers of quail [that] flew
in and covered the camp” (v.13). So the Israelites had
some tasty fowl to consume. In fact, “Each family had
just what it needed” (v.18).
Why would God give His people simply what they
needed and no more? He was teaching them to trust in
Him alone and not in their own means. He was teaching
them about real faith. Jesus reflected the same faith-building way of life in the Lord’s
Prayer, telling His disciples to pray, “Give us today the food we need” (Matt. 6:11).
Are you content with what God has provided for you today? If not, it’s time
to take a fresh look at your faith. God wants us to depend on Him for our daily
provision—not the frozen fish in the freezer. —Tom Felten
presents an account
of falling quail. Why
did God discipline His
people? How can you
avoid following their
Why does God desire
that you be content with
His provision? How is
He developing your faith
by giving you what you
need—not what you
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more