Living Houses of PrayerWhat does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?
Top Christian Music Videos
Each family had just
what it needed (v.18).
The residents of Lajamanu, a remote Australian
town, received a fishy gift last summer. Hundreds
of small spangled perch dropped from the sky!
Meteorologists believe the fish were sucked up into the
clouds by a storm. “It could have scooped the fish up to
40,000 to 50,000 feet in the air. Once they get up into
the system they [were] pretty much frozen. After some
period they [were] released,” said a weather expert.
Surprisingly, Lajamanu has been bombarded by flying
(frozen) fish twice before—in 1974 and 2004.
A month after being miraculously delivered from
Egypt, the Israelites were looking for a nice, fresh fish
dinner—or something fresh to eat (Exodus 16:1-3). The
wilderness didn’t allow for much, shall we say, delicious
cuisine. God knew what His people needed, and He
told Moses that He would “rain down food from heaven”
(v.4). And that’s just what He did!
God provided His complaining people with bread in
the morning and meat in the evening (v.12). But, instead
of fish, God gave them “vast numbers of quail [that] flew
in and covered the camp” (v.13). So the Israelites had
some tasty fowl to consume. In fact, “Each family had
just what it needed” (v.18).
Why would God give His people simply what they
needed and no more? He was teaching them to trust in
Him alone and not in their own means. He was teaching
them about real faith. Jesus reflected the same faith-building way of life in the Lord’s
Prayer, telling His disciples to pray, “Give us today the food we need” (Matt. 6:11).
Are you content with what God has provided for you today? If not, it’s time
to take a fresh look at your faith. God wants us to depend on Him for our daily
provision—not the frozen fish in the freezer. —Tom Felten
presents an account
of falling quail. Why
did God discipline His
people? How can you
avoid following their
Why does God desire
that you be content with
His provision? How is
He developing your faith
by giving you what you
need—not what you
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more