Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Kings 17:7-16
Then the Lord said to Elijah, “Go and live in
the village of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. I
have instructed a widow there to feed you” (vv.8-9).
After graduation from college, I worked for an
Sometimes I couldn’t even afford my next meal.
During that time, my mother became sick. I felt awful not
being able to help pay for her hospital expenses. It was
one trial after another, and each new trial was harder
than the previous one.
In 1 Kings 17, we find God training Elijah. By the
waters of Kerith, God used ravens to bring Elijah his
daily meals. But as the drought persisted, the babbling
brook became a silent stream, and then it slowed to a
We read: “But after a while the brook dried up . . .
then the Lord said to Elijah” (vv.7-8). Often we would
rather have God show us the next step before our
resources are totally depleted. Waiting can be nerveracking.
It can be frustrating. But this is all part of the
training process. We need to learn that we’re dependent
on God, and Him alone. We need to learn that when
our comfort zone is compromised, God is still in control.
Elijah was told by God, “Go and live in the village
of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. I have instructed
a widow there to feed you” (v.9). Zarephath was
enemy territory. Why would anyone offer Elijah shelter,
especially a widow? They were often the poorest of the
poor! Everything God told Elijah to do defied man’s
wisdom; it demanded trust. God was training His servant to walk by faith, not
by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7).
He learned the lesson reflected in these lyrics: “Now I can see testing comes
from above, God strengthens His children and purges in love. My Father knows
best, and I trust in His care; through purging, more fruit I will bear.” Are you
ready for God’s training? —Poh Fang Chia
Read John 15:2 to
discover why, according
to Jesus, God prunes us.
What is your usual
response when faced
with difficulties? What
new perspective should
you work on?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more