Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Kings 17:7-16
Then the Lord said to Elijah, “Go and live in
the village of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. I
have instructed a widow there to feed you” (vv.8-9).
After graduation from college, I worked for an
Sometimes I couldn’t even afford my next meal.
During that time, my mother became sick. I felt awful not
being able to help pay for her hospital expenses. It was
one trial after another, and each new trial was harder
than the previous one.
In 1 Kings 17, we find God training Elijah. By the
waters of Kerith, God used ravens to bring Elijah his
daily meals. But as the drought persisted, the babbling
brook became a silent stream, and then it slowed to a
We read: “But after a while the brook dried up . . .
then the Lord said to Elijah” (vv.7-8). Often we would
rather have God show us the next step before our
resources are totally depleted. Waiting can be nerveracking.
It can be frustrating. But this is all part of the
training process. We need to learn that we’re dependent
on God, and Him alone. We need to learn that when
our comfort zone is compromised, God is still in control.
Elijah was told by God, “Go and live in the village
of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. I have instructed
a widow there to feed you” (v.9). Zarephath was
enemy territory. Why would anyone offer Elijah shelter,
especially a widow? They were often the poorest of the
poor! Everything God told Elijah to do defied man’s
wisdom; it demanded trust. God was training His servant to walk by faith, not
by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7).
He learned the lesson reflected in these lyrics: “Now I can see testing comes
from above, God strengthens His children and purges in love. My Father knows
best, and I trust in His care; through purging, more fruit I will bear.” Are you
ready for God’s training? —Poh Fang Chia
Read John 15:2 to
discover why, according
to Jesus, God prunes us.
What is your usual
response when faced
with difficulties? What
new perspective should
you work on?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more