What We ValueHow often do you read the Bible?
Top Music Videos
1 Kings 17:7-16
Then the Lord said to Elijah, “Go and live in
the village of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. I
have instructed a widow there to feed you” (vv.8-9).
After graduation from college, I worked for an
Sometimes I couldn’t even afford my next meal.
During that time, my mother became sick. I felt awful not
being able to help pay for her hospital expenses. It was
one trial after another, and each new trial was harder
than the previous one.
In 1 Kings 17, we find God training Elijah. By the
waters of Kerith, God used ravens to bring Elijah his
daily meals. But as the drought persisted, the babbling
brook became a silent stream, and then it slowed to a
We read: “But after a while the brook dried up . . .
then the Lord said to Elijah” (vv.7-8). Often we would
rather have God show us the next step before our
resources are totally depleted. Waiting can be nerveracking.
It can be frustrating. But this is all part of the
training process. We need to learn that we’re dependent
on God, and Him alone. We need to learn that when
our comfort zone is compromised, God is still in control.
Elijah was told by God, “Go and live in the village
of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. I have instructed
a widow there to feed you” (v.9). Zarephath was
enemy territory. Why would anyone offer Elijah shelter,
especially a widow? They were often the poorest of the
poor! Everything God told Elijah to do defied man’s
wisdom; it demanded trust. God was training His servant to walk by faith, not
by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7).
He learned the lesson reflected in these lyrics: “Now I can see testing comes
from above, God strengthens His children and purges in love. My Father knows
best, and I trust in His care; through purging, more fruit I will bear.” Are you
ready for God’s training? —Poh Fang Chia
Read John 15:2 to
discover why, according
to Jesus, God prunes us.
What is your usual
response when faced
with difficulties? What
new perspective should
you work on?
- What We Value - How often do you read the Bible?...read more
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more