What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
We don’t know what God wants us to pray
for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with
groanings that cannot be expressed in words
My friend has a habit of asking God for signs. In
doing so, His prayers tend to seek confirmation
of his feelings, as in “God, if You want me to
do ‘X,’ then please do ‘Y,’ and I’ll know it’s OK.”
Not surprisingly, this has created a dilemma. For my
friend feels that he should get back with his ex-girlfriend,
based on the way he prays. His ex, on the other hand,
feels strongly that God has told them not to get back
together. Ah, feelings.
Jesus told the religious leaders of His day: “Only an
evil, adulterous generation would demand a miraculous
sign” (Matthew 16:4). But He wasn’t making a blanket
statement to prevent anyone from seeking God’s
guidance. Rather, Jesus was accusing them of ignoring
the clear prophecies that told them He was the Messiah.
Proverbs gives us an abundance of direct signs as to
how to live our lives. Solomon, who wrote most verses
in the book, gave these instructions to his son: “Never
let loyalty and kindness leave you” (3:3). “Trust in the
Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own
understanding” (v.5). To drive his point home, Solomon
concluded: “Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom.
Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil” (v.7).
God wants us to seek His guidance in prayer
(James 1:5). He has given us the instruction of the Holy
Spirit (John 14:26) and His Word, the Bible
(1 Thessalonians 2:13). He gives us mentors and wise leaders. He’s also given
us the ultimate example seen in Jesus (Philippians 2:4-5).
It’s wise to ask God for clear direction. But our prayers should never be
formulaic attempts to manipulate God. Real Christianity is not a system; it’s a
relationship with Jesus Himself. —Tim Gustafson
Read Romans 8:1-17
to learn about the Holy
Spirit’s role in guiding
our lives and decisions.
In Matthew 16:1-4, what
do you think is the “sign
of Jonah”? (v.4).
How do you seek God’s
guidance? Are your
attempts to manipulate
Him? How well are you
obeying God’s Word?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more