Awaken Your Hope Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples.
Top Christian Music Videos
Disturbing The Peace
I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart (v.27).
Sometimes I catch a glimpse of him as he drives
by—reclined in his seat, one arm slung out of
his rolled-down window. He’s the guy with the
car stereo that blasts seismic sound waves through our
neighborhood. His sub-woofers pulse with a booming
rhythm so loud that I can hardly feel my own heartbeat.
In case you think I’m simply dull and cranky, let me
assure you that I love music. And sometimes, I like it
really loud. It’s the jolt of the unexpected musical monster
that sets me on edge; it steals my peace.
Jesus knew this world would furnish all sorts of unsettling
situations. That’s why He said, “I am leaving you with a
gift—peace” (John 14:27). Amazingly, peace is a gift.
We don’t have to work for it; we just have to welcome it.
As Christians, we’re supposed to “let the peace that comes
from Christ rule in [our] hearts” (Colossians 3:15).
Jesus’ gift of peace doesn’t mean that He’ll resolve
every issue in our lives. Our spouse may continue to
overdraw from the checking account. Our kids may not
lose interest in that dreaded rock band. The boss may
never ease up. But somehow, Jesus said we could have
“peace of mind and heart” (John 14:27). Jesus provides
inner peace when outer peace isn’t possible.
For most of us, peaceful life circumstances are
impossible to obtain. And no amount of striving will
create the calm we crave. Perfecting our relationships,
simplifying our schedules, and organizing our homes won’t lead us to longterm
serenity. Jesus said, “The peace I give you is a gift the world cannot give”
(v.27). We can’t manufacture what only Christ can provide.
If something is disturbing your peace today, trust in Jesus’ promise: “You
may have peace in Me. . . . I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Ephesians 2:14-18
to learn about how Jesus
“Himself has brought
peace to us.” Read
Revelation 21:3-4 to
gain a picture of the
peace that believers will
experience in heaven.
How have you tried
to create peace for
yourself? Why do we
sometimes reject Jesus’
gift of peace?
- Awaken Your Hope - Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples....read more
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more