Calling on the AirIn what ways have you called on God for direction ?
Top Christian Music Videos
Disturbing The Peace
I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart (v.27).
Sometimes I catch a glimpse of him as he drives
by—reclined in his seat, one arm slung out of
his rolled-down window. He’s the guy with the
car stereo that blasts seismic sound waves through our
neighborhood. His sub-woofers pulse with a booming
rhythm so loud that I can hardly feel my own heartbeat.
In case you think I’m simply dull and cranky, let me
assure you that I love music. And sometimes, I like it
really loud. It’s the jolt of the unexpected musical monster
that sets me on edge; it steals my peace.
Jesus knew this world would furnish all sorts of unsettling
situations. That’s why He said, “I am leaving you with a
gift—peace” (John 14:27). Amazingly, peace is a gift.
We don’t have to work for it; we just have to welcome it.
As Christians, we’re supposed to “let the peace that comes
from Christ rule in [our] hearts” (Colossians 3:15).
Jesus’ gift of peace doesn’t mean that He’ll resolve
every issue in our lives. Our spouse may continue to
overdraw from the checking account. Our kids may not
lose interest in that dreaded rock band. The boss may
never ease up. But somehow, Jesus said we could have
“peace of mind and heart” (John 14:27). Jesus provides
inner peace when outer peace isn’t possible.
For most of us, peaceful life circumstances are
impossible to obtain. And no amount of striving will
create the calm we crave. Perfecting our relationships,
simplifying our schedules, and organizing our homes won’t lead us to longterm
serenity. Jesus said, “The peace I give you is a gift the world cannot give”
(v.27). We can’t manufacture what only Christ can provide.
If something is disturbing your peace today, trust in Jesus’ promise: “You
may have peace in Me. . . . I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Ephesians 2:14-18
to learn about how Jesus
“Himself has brought
peace to us.” Read
Revelation 21:3-4 to
gain a picture of the
peace that believers will
experience in heaven.
How have you tried
to create peace for
yourself? Why do we
sometimes reject Jesus’
gift of peace?
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more
- Songs in the Night - What’s your favorite worship song?...read more