MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Mary’s Risky Calling
Mary responded, “I am the Lord’s servant. May everything you have said about me come true” (v.38).
“May everything you have said about me come true” (Luke 1:38). With those words a young (probably teenage) Mary responded to the greatest discipleship call ever given. She had been chosen to give birth to the Son of God. The ramifications would be huge.
Mary was pledged to marry Joseph. She was a resident of Nazareth, a town of only a few hundred people, in a culture of close ties, shared homes, and quickly spread gossip. And she was about to get pregnant? This would be difficult to keep secret and even more difficult to explain.
Did she tell anyone about Gabriel’s visit? Did her mother know? Did her father feel dishonored? The penalty for adultery was stoning (Leviticus 20:10). This was risky business for an innocent virgin.
“May everything you have said about me come true.” And Joseph. How would she tell him? His plans for a quiet divorce suggest that he discovered the news later on, knowing nothing of the divine miracle (Matthew 1:19). And even after his personal angelic visitation (v.20) and the halting of the divorce plans, how did the wedding ceremony go? Who whispered and who snickered about the bride and her “secret”? Was the young family treated a little differently in the street? Was the murky nature of Jesus’ paternity a source of ridicule?
Mary would watch her son grow up, leave home, and be rejected by her neighbors. Then she saw Him hang on a cross of shame. A sword would pierce her soul (Luke 2:35).
“May everything you have said about me come true.” Mary’s obedience is astounding and is rightly a model for us to imitate. Will we respond to the call of God even when pain, misunderstanding, and ridicule might follow?
Read Matthew 1:20to see Joseph’s obedience in this story. How was going through with the marriage a great risk for him as well?
Is God calling you to do something risky for Him? After verifying that call with other Christian friends and leaders, will you do it?
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more