Love in ActionHow can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?
Top Christian Music Videos
Mary’s Risky Calling
Mary responded, “I am the Lord’s servant. May everything you have said about me come true” (v.38).
“May everything you have said about me come true” (Luke 1:38). With those words a young (probably teenage) Mary responded to the greatest discipleship call ever given. She had been chosen to give birth to the Son of God. The ramifications would be huge.
Mary was pledged to marry Joseph. She was a resident of Nazareth, a town of only a few hundred people, in a culture of close ties, shared homes, and quickly spread gossip. And she was about to get pregnant? This would be difficult to keep secret and even more difficult to explain.
Did she tell anyone about Gabriel’s visit? Did her mother know? Did her father feel dishonored? The penalty for adultery was stoning (Leviticus 20:10). This was risky business for an innocent virgin.
“May everything you have said about me come true.” And Joseph. How would she tell him? His plans for a quiet divorce suggest that he discovered the news later on, knowing nothing of the divine miracle (Matthew 1:19). And even after his personal angelic visitation (v.20) and the halting of the divorce plans, how did the wedding ceremony go? Who whispered and who snickered about the bride and her “secret”? Was the young family treated a little differently in the street? Was the murky nature of Jesus’ paternity a source of ridicule?
Mary would watch her son grow up, leave home, and be rejected by her neighbors. Then she saw Him hang on a cross of shame. A sword would pierce her soul (Luke 2:35).
“May everything you have said about me come true.” Mary’s obedience is astounding and is rightly a model for us to imitate. Will we respond to the call of God even when pain, misunderstanding, and ridicule might follow?
Read Matthew 1:20to see Joseph’s obedience in this story. How was going through with the marriage a great risk for him as well?
Is God calling you to do something risky for Him? After verifying that call with other Christian friends and leaders, will you do it?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more