Based on a True StoryWhat restoration has God brought to your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Mary’s Risky Calling
Mary responded, “I am the Lord’s servant. May everything you have said about me come true” (v.38).
“May everything you have said about me come true” (Luke 1:38). With those words a young (probably teenage) Mary responded to the greatest discipleship call ever given. She had been chosen to give birth to the Son of God. The ramifications would be huge.
Mary was pledged to marry Joseph. She was a resident of Nazareth, a town of only a few hundred people, in a culture of close ties, shared homes, and quickly spread gossip. And she was about to get pregnant? This would be difficult to keep secret and even more difficult to explain.
Did she tell anyone about Gabriel’s visit? Did her mother know? Did her father feel dishonored? The penalty for adultery was stoning (Leviticus 20:10). This was risky business for an innocent virgin.
“May everything you have said about me come true.” And Joseph. How would she tell him? His plans for a quiet divorce suggest that he discovered the news later on, knowing nothing of the divine miracle (Matthew 1:19). And even after his personal angelic visitation (v.20) and the halting of the divorce plans, how did the wedding ceremony go? Who whispered and who snickered about the bride and her “secret”? Was the young family treated a little differently in the street? Was the murky nature of Jesus’ paternity a source of ridicule?
Mary would watch her son grow up, leave home, and be rejected by her neighbors. Then she saw Him hang on a cross of shame. A sword would pierce her soul (Luke 2:35).
“May everything you have said about me come true.” Mary’s obedience is astounding and is rightly a model for us to imitate. Will we respond to the call of God even when pain, misunderstanding, and ridicule might follow?
Read Matthew 1:20to see Joseph’s obedience in this story. How was going through with the marriage a great risk for him as well?
Is God calling you to do something risky for Him? After verifying that call with other Christian friends and leaders, will you do it?
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more