Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Sheryl Crow gets it, at least when it comes to loneliness. Many of her song lyrics express our longing for relationships and the questions that bubble to the surface when we live in isolation for too long. Does anybody want me? Does anybody need me? What will I do if the answer is "no"?
For Hagar, the answer was no, and she hit the road, leaving behind Sarai and Abram. The thing was, Hagar was carrying Abraham's child, but Sarai had "treated Hagar so harshly that she finally ran away" (Gen. 16:6).
The only one who came looking for Hagar was the angel of the Lord. The angel found her alone and in the desert. He struck up a conversation by asking, "Where have you come from, and where are you going?" (v.8). Although God already knew the answers, His messenger established a two-way connection with Hagar to ease the pain of her isolation.
As this tender talk unfolded, the angel reassured her that her solitude was temporary, and He gave her a revelation of God Himself, showing that He truly cared for her.
Hagar's aloneness mattered to God. The angel said, "The Lord has heard your cry of distress" (v.11). While the Bible doesn't record Hagar's desperate plea, it appears that God's healing dialogue started in the most heartbreaking and loneliest moment of her life.
Are you suffering from the ache of absentee friends or family? Remember that God hears your call of distress, and He's ready to talk openly and tenderly to you, to lead you out of your loneliness. After all, the One who soothed Hagar's soul is "the God who sees me . . . the Living One who sees me" (vv.13-14). , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more